Long Quilt help

I am making a 50 foot long quilt by 48 inches. I am wondering if I can fit 50 feet of backing (muslin), batting (Warm & Natural) and top (cotton) under the rollers or if I need to make it in parts and put it together after quilting.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Martha

How about adding the writing with a marking tool (erasable marker or chalk) to all the pieces before you start?  Or even just horizontal lines where the writing goes, like lined paper. You could also keep a reference paper with the writing size next to you when you quilt. I’m not sure I could keep consistent size whether it’s one piece or several pieces anyway. 

SueD has great advice and I agree that you will need to quilt sections separately and then join after quilting. I max out at about 120" on the rollersfor a quilt with cotton batting. Maybe make the sections 48"+ by 120" plus extra for attaching to the rollers and seaming together later. There are lots of tutorials pertaining to quilt-as-you-go that can help you decide which technique to use to butt the batting together and cover the joins on the back side. Plan it on graph paper, allowing extra fabric at the top and bottom of each section so joining is easier later. Assuming you are quilting the writing, mark the whole design on each section and mark exactly where the top and bottom joining seams will be so the writing looks natural.  If you can find 120" muslin fabric for the backer (check Joanns on line), you will save money on fabric.