Fuses

CH2

Dear RunningThreads,

Thank you very much for your response.

I have already removed both top covers.  I watched the video that you kindly attached.  My machine does not have anything resembling a fuse compartment in the motor area.   I wonder if that is because I received it in 2005 and the video shows only 2007 and forward?

I have however been able to locate the main fuse.

You are right the power cord and switch is at the back on the left side of your machine.  Actually I think maybe our second fuse holder may have been near the on/off switch just above or beside.  I had to change the second fuse a couple of times in the early years.  We’ve since sold the machines and I don’t have any manuals to refresh my memory.  Also please confirm your machine was first delivered to Canada.  If it wasn’t turn the machine on in manual mode and give the flywheel a little spin.  If it starts you probably need to blow out the dust and replace the brushes (make sure there are no quilts anywhere near as the carbon dust gets everywhere). 

Nigel

Thank you, Nigel:

Yes, it was delivered to Canada in Nov 2005.  I have had no issues with this machine and have been faithful with maintenance and service.

Upon reading your excellent description of second fuses, I have now located the second fuse compartment.   Very cleverly camouflaged  between the on/off switch and the main fuse compartment. !!!!  I do have the original manuals but no mention of fuses in them.  

I now however have two problems arising from having taken off both top covers. Nothing is ever boring in my world it seems.

1)  the round black plastic like compartment on the actual motor (also located on the left side of the machine)  that looks like the cap of the main fuse opening has a small metal cube like structure with a copper coil attached to what looks like a screw attachment.   This has jumped out of the motor.   With it appears to be a short narrow brownish ribbon like piece.  Is there a proper way to re insert all that?

2)  one of the coloured ribbon circuit connectors has come undone from lifting the top cover.   Is there a correct way to re insert that?

Any assistance will be very much appreciated.  

Thank You,

Colleen

Thank you for the video about the motor brushes. It is excellent and I will have no problem with proceeding to rectify both of my issues.

I am still puzzled however about the small piece of ribbon like item shown in my photo that also appeared when the motor brush came out?  It is not mentioned in the video?    Does that mean something elsewhere in the motor is also missing?

I appreciate your patience with my questions and am hopeful this will be the last correspondence from me today.

Regards,

Colleen

I didn’t realize that is what you meant.  From the picture it looks like a piece wire insulation that would be used to protect from heat or chafing.  I have no idea where it came from though but I’m sure it didn’t come out of the brush holder.  Did you unplug any wire when you took the covers off?  It could have slipped off one of those wires but I’m just guessing.  

Nigel

I made the decision (took a leap of faith) and reassembled the machine as I did not recall any fabric type items in the science classes I took many years ago about electric motors.

I changed the main fuse first and tested the machine.    It worked just the way it has always worked for the past 17 years !!!!!!

You should know that I have really appreciated your excellent and professional guidance and patience with my situation.   It was a pleasure to have had your assistance.

Many Thanks Again Nigel,

Colleen