Something I learned today

I have been working on a 106" by 106" Irish chain with 2" squares. Thought I had a good idea for the background areas but no clear ideas for the rest. The whole quilt had just been agony, nothing seemed to flow, the different elements in my mind weren't compatible but I just had to keep going. When done I took a photo to remember what I didn't like. Looking at the photo, I thought well this looks pretty good. I need to remember to back away from the quilt and taking a photo does that for me. Try it! We should probably be taking digital photos of all quilts (if we have a digi-camera) just for reference anyway.

I think it's a great idea to take pictures of all the quilts we do for sure. I rarely forget to do that now.

However, I think that after ANY quilt is completed it's amazing how different they appear. I try to never judge the first couple of passes I make on the quilt as being the final "look". By the time I take it off the frame---it looks so different ---and I'm usually pleased with the final results. I did just complete a quilt that while I liked the design I chose---I didn't like the color of thread I picked. So, learned a lesson on that.

Sue,

You are so right...we are too close to the quilt the whole time we are working on it so we know every nook and cranny, so to speak. I know when I am working on a quilt I start thinking it looks terrible and I think about ripping out, the DH walks in and tells me how awsome it looks and I am amazed. I think we are just too close and we look at it for too long.

Sue you are so right...if I have a complicated quilt I take a picture and blow it up to at least a 8 1/2 x 11 and if I need to draw the different designs on the quilt. I lay a plastic sheet over it and draw with a dry erase pencil, thank god for the fine line ones now days.

I also have told more than one customer that did have huge booboos on their quilts. That I was able to either mask, by quilting that they really didn't need to worry...."That only their quilter really knows where the booboo's are".

We as quilters are the only ones (other than maybe a judge) that will ever go over a quilt with that fine of a critque.

When someone looks at a quilt they see the quilt as a whole. Unless you really screwed up or the customer has a huge blunder somewhere...those are generally never seen.

Archived