Upholstery job

I was use a FLAT batting. Quilters dream poly, warm and natural or a flat poly. You do not need alot of puff. It would also depend on the style of quilting you plan to do.

I like warm and natural. It doesn't try to spread apart if your fabric is really heavy when you roll and I quilt densely. Takes alittle time. With that said I use my Compuquilter for these jobs which helps.

I have done several of these job with no problem. It is cumbersome but I charge so I just hear the cha ching in my head when working on it and the work doesn't bother me. lolol

It won't be densely quilted as he only wants a large up & down (think giant zigzag) design to follow the paisley design of the fabric. I've never used quilted fabric when recovering chairs myself, so I've been trying to decide how much "puff" you really want or need. Thanks for the input Tammie.

Hobbs heirloom comes with a scrim, like warm 'n natural, it is softer and not as stiff as Warm 'n natural. It doesn't pull apart or stretch. Also, Dream Cotton has a 30/70 blend that is just like warm' n natural it doesn't stretch. All of them quilt great.

Cheryl

Hi April,

I think you need to talk with the client and find out what look he wants. If he wants it quilted,he no doubt wants a bit of loft so the fabric LOOKS quilted. Otherwise, why bother?

Take into consideration the color of the fabric too. You may be better off using something like Hobb's Polydown Dark if it's a medium to dark tone.

Personally, I'd stay away from anything dense like W&N, especially if the fabric will be pulled around corners to the back. The less bulk you have the better if that's the case. W&N would be difficult, if not impossible, to get a smooth corner. The Poly batting could be "torn down" and thinned out more easily at the corners when tugging it to the back.

Just my opinion.

The few jobs I have done when I quilted loads of fabric using under a 3 inch ete design the upholstery guy came to my studio. In my case he wanted it flat as could be. He using it as fabric and still puts the batting or stuffing on the furniture he is going to cover (in this case anyway). In one of the cases he made the buttons for the back of the chair and created his own puff. This particular time he chose my Quilters Dream 70/30 and in another case a decorator chose the warm and natural. She had a musical theme for her granddaughers room for (a small chair) and wanted the design which was violins to be what showed. I quilted it on a lovely satine in lime green and used a lime green varigated which she also chose. It turned out beautiful quilted.

I have also used two layers of Dream Puff for decorators who want alot of puff and quilted 2 inch clam shells in one case and 4 inch in another. Quilted the fabric for the cornices, bedding, skirt, shams and chair cover. Made very good money on this job. I would take just one of these a month and be happy.

I guess it just depends on the job you are doing. I had good communication with both the decorators and sewer and upholstery man. Once the job was complete the upholstery man contacted me and complimented my work and took my information for future reference. I have since done two king size very heavy decorator fabric jobs for him.

I personally like doing decorator jobs. There are pluss and minuses to it like anything else.

Archived