Best 1st Time Entry Pieced - Hoffman Challenge

Hey, thanks guys. It was a 7" paper pieced block taught by Dee Lynn who put seam allowance lines on the paper also which made for twice as many lines but it allows sewing from the top side of the paper instead of constantly flipping to sew from the back. Very clever idea. The over size of the quilt is 39" square, just under the 40"x40" allowed in the contest rules. If you get a chance to see a Hoffman Challenge exhibit, it sure is a lot of fun. I had designed a purse too and may do that next year to enter the accessories category.

Cathey is a dear friend of mine and quite an inspiration. Since she walks her dog Jack every day in the early morning to beat the heat, I tried it too. Lowered my blood pressure and lost 20 pounds! I'd call Cathey a master at piecing gorgeous quilts and I want to follow in her footsteps. The book she gave me on doing borders and bindings helped me get it right with this quilt. She has only had her Millennium for about six months and wait till she masters that aspect of quilting. Look out world! We both took Sharon Schamber's fabric dying class and thought it was a fabulous class. Even got to leave our machines home.

Cathey and I both took Karen McTavish's wholecloth class here in AZ. Now that's a challenge for another day.

Vicki

Archived