What do you use to mark your tops?

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

Hi Norece,

Marking can be a tricky business. I have a pounce pad, but I use it before loading the quilt and it is filled with Miracle Chalk. Mircle Chalk won't bounce off your quilt and removes using the steam from your iron. Whatever you do, I would not recommend using blue chalk in your pounce pad, the blue is almost impossible to get out. If your pounce is new, you may have to "pounce" it a bit to get the chalk coming out enough to mark the quilt.

My preferred marking tools are Miracle chalk (www.miraclechalk.com) either in pounce, or in tailor chalk slivers, Dritz Mark-B-Gone blue pen (water soluble AND you must read the directions in order to get it out), or the Clover White or Pink pens that remove with steam.

With all markers, you may wish to test them on a scrap of fabric first to make certain they will come out. There are too many horror stories about marks being left in quilts.

Linda

Hi Norece,

I second everything Linda said; the miracle chalk is wonderful. I test my blue markers on a seam allowance on the wrong side of the quilt top before marking. Right now I am using some black light powder mixed in with the miracle chalk because just the chalk didn't show up well, and its working very well.

Barbara

I have to say I use the blue pounce pad. I really like it. It is great for squares that you want to keep an even display of stitching. I make sure my pad has evenly distributed chalk usually pounce the pad once will give me adequate chalk, sometimes brush a little off if it looks too dark before I stitch. Then I take a lint brush after I sew and this usually takes care of it. Or I might have to spray with with a little mist of water that has baking soda in it, ( the baking soda will neutralize the chalk). Practice on something of your own first too see how you feel, but this has been real successful for me. I use a chalk roller and use a ruler to chalk from corner to corner, but that is harder to get off than the pounce power. I also used a spray chalk and I did not like that, was way too hard to remove. Hope this helps. I typically always try something out on my own stuff before I do it to a customer quilts as I don't want surprises.

I don't use a lot of chalk but one thing I've started to do is to lightly spray the area I want to mark with a fine mist of water, then I lay the stencil on top and then I use the pouncer. You get a much nicer line to follow and it stays on better. When it is completely dry, it just brushes off. I almost always use white. I have used the blue without problems but it does make me nervous.

Sue

Where can you get the Miracle Chalk other than the manufacture....I don't mail order unless its totally necessary.

I have used the pounce chalks, both blue and white, but have never misted first will try that, I have always hated the bouncing that you normally get so will try this next time.

What I have been using with great results is the General's Chalk pencils (white) which you can buy in any art supply store or area of your local craft store, they don't rub off, but will come off with a damp sponge or with washing in plain water...they shapen with a regular pencil sharpener and are great for getting into the plastic stencils. Just be careful not to use a heavy hand when placing the marks, if you get to heavy they only come out with washing.

Thanks gang I learned some great tips today....

Bonnie

I have to second Linda S. ?s recommendation regarding Miracle chalk, it totally Rocks! www.miraclechalk.com

It is not a chalk that will work down into the bobbin case area, non abrasive, not caustic or harmful to you or your quilt.

I truly love how easy it is to steam away, but the really *kool* :cool: thing is that you can use a black light in your machine when doing white on white! It luminates beautifully, & such a time saver.

Check out www.fulllinestencli.com

She has Ultimate Quilt pounce powder. She also sells a great line of stencils that are made for the pounce systems. A word of caution: buy a new pouncer for the Iron off chalk. Residue of your old chalk could "set" with ironing. By the way, you can iron off this chalk but you don't have to iron it off. It will wash out.

I have an order of Miracle Chalk coming....what a bonus, no one mentioned the use before with a black light....maybe with this I will be getting a 2'fer, hate the black light powder I'm using right now....way to much bounce and it gets all over EVERYTHING!!! And once in your skin it seems to take days to get off with soap and water, so you can imagine what it does to a quilt. yuck!!!

Thanks again

Bonnie

We have a quilting guild here in our area. At one meeting they discussed using chalk and stencils and I was sold. I even stopped at Hobby Lobby on the way home to get a stencil to try. I sprayed a light mist of water used my pounce pad and white chalk and tried to follow the lines....I had the worst mess!! I'm thinking my "mist" was too much. I had wet chalk on my hopping foot and it seemed everywhere else too. I am not giving up because it looks like it would be so good to use in certain places. I just need to practice more, but I am glad you all are talking about this, it has inspired me to try again soon.

Guest Linda S

All sorts of supply companies have the black light. You can get them here at APQS or try Columbia River Quilting or Kings Men. I've seen them there too.

Linda

I have never sprayed mine ahead of time using the pounce pad. And I just followed the directions that it came with. I have had great luck with it. I found I use the blue the most. And on white if I use a light touch it is fine, and comes right off. But when ever you use chalk or marking you usually have to clean the hopping foot frequently.

Archived