CL zigzag template positioning

Hi everyone,

I just used my zigzag for the first time, and I can see that there is more of a learning curve for this than with the baptist fans. Granted, I'm trying to move it back and forth to change the pattern, and that's my question. How do you combine them to make a pattern? Do you just slide the template back and forth and "eye-ball" where the holes are? I.e. I was supposed to use holes 1 and 9, but it never did quite turn out the way I wanted.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Beth

Hey Beth - On the zigzag/waves template I treat it a little differently. First of all, I keep the "Pattern Grid" on my table under the plastic at all times. When I place the zig-zag template on the table, I use the small non skid pieces. They are only about 12" long and I use about 4 of them across the table. I know I will be moving the template from side to side and up and down so the smaller pieces help with that.

I'll give you an example of the "Lips Pattern": I place the template about 1" from the bottom lip of the table. This way, I can move the template up and down and sideways. Without the hydraulic lift, I can't always meet the last row absolutely on point. So, I can always nudge the template in about 4 spots across the table to meet the last row. Now, for the lips pattern. I don't use the holes provided so I use painters tape to mark the side and bottom of the template. After doing the first 6 rows completely, I move the whole template to the right as far as I want then mark that spot with the painters tape. I then do all those rows making the lip pattern. I leave the template in the second position and move the fabric to the start of the next row nudging the template up or down to meet the last row of the quilt. I do all the rows again then move the template back to the first position marked by the painters tape. I find this easiest for me. Hope this helps. By the way, I move the machine with my right hand and hold the template with my left hand cause I'm not a gentle quilter and I don't want the template to move.

I think I don't get it :o but maybe I'm not suppose to...are you saying you don't use those little holes on the lower left of the template?? Like when the pattern says to use hole 9, 13 & 17 (just an example)??

I use those little plastic "block" type things that came with my template. I position my template on the table then use painters tape to tape those little "blocks" in place - they they hold my template in place. Then I place the post - from the little plate that I taped to the table - into the correct hole to make the first sweep across the quilt.....

is that the same thing you are talking abou?? I just want to make sure I am doing this thing right.

Hi Mary Beth - Michael will probably yell at me but no I don't use the little holes at all. I don't tape my template to the table either. I just use small "12")pieces of the non skid under my template in about 4 spots.

I use the painters tape in an L shape in the lower left corner to see where I started the row. After I move the template as far to the right as I want it, I use another piece of tape marking that spot. That way, I have the size lip I want.

I only move the template every other set of rows. I love this template. I have used just the zig-zag and the wave lines by themselves on Southwest quilts. They both look good. I have one customer who likes the template just like it is on her quilt. One wave, one zig-zag. Is that any clearer? I hope!!!

Mary Beth - I told you Michael would say something! ;) I never have been able to follow directions. :P It's just that everyone has to find the way that's easier for them. Sorry Michael, I couldn't help myself. :) He does test his designs and tries to make them as easy as possible. It's just that some of us don't listen well. I just love Michael and Kay, they have put up with me for years now. :P:P

• 1 month later...

I used the zig zag for the first time today and I don't get it either. Are you to number the lines on the template to try and get the patterns or do you move it every row. I just did a simple pattern using zig zags and changed it some. I didn't understand the directs for the patterns. Could someone draw a picture or something?

Sorry, hit the wrong button.

Remember the plastic rectange about 6" long and about 2" wide? Tape that to your table with the pin on the Left side of the table from the panto. side. Secure it with the blue painters tape. Put your template with the pin in the last hole from the left side. As in, leave about 9 holes empty before, then put the pin in. (referring to Michael's directions here would be great). I don't tape down my stencils, they sit on rubber shelving mats like others have described before. I line up the stencil with the edge of my table, and make the first pass down the quilt. Depending on which design I am doing, I then move the stencil to the Left the number of holes Michael says and put the pin through that hole. Not really easy with the rubber mats underneath, but you can do this. Now run the next pass of the design, and Voila! You've got the design that is in the picture!

Best of luck to you on that, keep posting if you can't figure it out. Certainly put some muslin on to practice with, and you'll quickly get the hang of it. Like the rest of the CL products, once you figure it out, you'll be loving it. I just got my Aztec template today, and I can't wait to play!

Beth

Hey guys, Michael has put out an email that if you email or call him, he will send you a little "game" for lack of a better word for it. It will let you put in the squirkle #, along with the number of turns , and it will show you a picture of what the motif will look like. This works on the madellion patterns. You download it to your computer. It's easy to find what size you need in a area but this will show you what the motif looks like. I know this is hard to understand but email him and try the "game" As you know, a design will work out one way in a 10 inch area but it will change in a 8 inch area. Really handy. I think he's working on something for the zig-zag template too. As for the movement of the zig-zag, I place a piece of painters tape along the edge of the template (side and bottom--l =L shape) I then move the template to the right to where I want the design to meet up with the existing rows and mark that spot the same way. I move the template only after I have done all the rows in one spot then move and do all the rows again. Leave the template there and move the quilt and do the rows again, moving the template every other time.

As an aside, while doing cross-hatching, I can't always get the rows to line up on every point exactly. This is due to the movement of the quilt fabric. So, I now do my crosshatch this way---- I do the entire quilt in the zig-zag only. I then go back with my little ruler and do the second pass with it. That way, I meet up with "all" the points and have no spaces. This just works better and easier for me. Seems to be just as fast also looks better.

Archived