Flash Flood

Last night was the hardest and most rain I have ever seen come down in a two hour period. We were at the neighbors for his 60th b/day and the skies opened w/rain. His basement window blew out because the window well filled with runoff from the hillside. The mud/water level completely filled the basement to the step just above the landing. The water level was 2 feet over the road and you could see fences, garbage cans, trees and pails floating down the road. Since we sit ona hill, we have no damage at all. Just a little cleanup here and there. Guess we just have to pay for more gravel on the road. Needless to say, we are in the country--all alone--I love it!!!

My son lives in Box Elder, and he called as that storm was hitting to tell me about it, he rides a **** motorcycle so of course, I worry.....But he was lucky, not much rain he said, but some of his work mates got hit pretty hard, one lost his windshield on the way home, another had water in his basement. Called him back a few hours later and he said it was just raining. Have not talked with him today, tho. Looks like a lot of damage (I read the Rapid paper on line)... Glad to hear you are safe and sound. Judy

Marie,

I'm glad you are OK, but that sounds like a scary evening and your friend has a lot to do!

We didn't have the flash floods, but did have hail almost baseball size within 5 miles of us (I didn't see it) that took windshields completely out of cars, etc. We BADLY needed the rain, but the hail and tornado watch were a bit much!

Take care!

Brenda J

A-1`Elite (Dealer)

Sturgis, SD

We really had no big problems. Afew sink holes caused by the water and we will have to help pay for the private road because of the gravel loss. Our neighbor's basement is not covered by ins. Bummer!!! He needs a new furnance, carpet, sheetrock etc. My DH has been helping him out. I was in Sioux Falls visiting children and babies. Love those little girls!!!

We also live on a hill thankfully. But the rains hit here on Monday the 20th. I left the house at 7:15 for work, got maybe 1/4 mile down our gravel road and decided I was not driving thru any water I couldn't see the road thru. I tried again after 9 a.m. and found I was completely flooded in by the little creek thats usually about 5 feet wide. It was now a raging river about 40 feet wide and totally covering the bridge I cross. Also flooded 3 other roads out to the hwy...so I went back home to quilt thinking the water would go down enough in a few hours that I could get to work for the afternoon. LOL After the water went down we found the road had been washed away from both ends of all four flooded bridges. Currently we have two bridge roads repaired (the new ones). Still waiting for the grader man to smooth the road out again. But I can get to work again.

Archived