Bobbin case or bobbins?

I have a question. While reading the myriad of questions on tension, the bobbin drop test is always mentioned. I understand the bobbin should drop 5-6 inches with metal bobbins, but I have a dumb question. When I do the drop test, the bobbin falls out of the case. I have 3 difference bobbin cases and numerous bobbins - bobbins fall out of the case. Am I doing something wrong, or do I just have 3 defective bobbin cases?

Hi

It is a little hard to get the hang of doing it, but when you jerk it back up, (like a yo-yo) be sure not to jerk it to hard or it will fall out every time! I have chased those across the floor many times! LOL

Just keep practicing!

You can also hold your other hand under the case and then if it does fall, you can catch it..

Good Luck

I second Linda's recommendation of the Towa Tension Gauge. There is no guesswork, and no chasing bobbins around. It's a wonderful tool for newbies, or for anyone reluctant to try new threads because they don't want to fiddle with tension.

I bought mine from APQS when I bought my machine. It was a very worthwhile investment.

Sue

Guest Linda S

Not to mention that APQS seems to be the only company that sells this gauge and puts the numbers to shoot for on the side of the box! :cool: Many folks I know have ordered them elsewhere and have no idea what sort of number they are looking for. I was very appreciative to have some guidelines come with mine!

Linda :D

Originally posted by Linda S

Not to mention that APQS seems to be the only company that sells this gauge and puts the numbers to shoot for on the side of the box! :cool: Many folks I know have ordered them elsewhere and have no idea what sort of number they are looking for. I was very appreciative to have some guidelines come with mine!

Linda :D

I purchased the tension guage from APQS but haven't used it in a while. When I was having tension problems, APQS people told me to use the drop test because it worked better than the gauge. I think the gauge would make life simpler than having to judge the tension by the drop test. Can I hear from those of you who have an opinion on this? Who has been successful using the gauge? Also, opinions vary as to what number you want the gauge to read when testing the bobbin. Can I have your ideas on this as well?

Thanks,

Pam Geary

Guest Linda S

Pam - I use the gauge ALL the time. Now, granted, there is still some tweaking to do. I find that for most threads, the numbers on the side of the box (I think it's 20 for metal bobbins, 25 for prewounds) work fine. However, when I'm running heavier cottons, I sometimes find that I need to loosen that bobbin tension to about 15. I keep a little sheet next to my bobbin winder, and try to have a record of my settings for each type of thread. I use the gauge on EACH and EVERY bobbin before I put it in the machine. You would be amazed that sometimes the thread doesn't go onto each bobbin in the same way -- I have some bobbins where the center hole is a bit big and it slips on the bobbin winder, or some where it is very snug. This will make a lot of difference in your bobbin thread tension. There is nothing like suddenly having bobbin pokies in the middle of the quilt because you forgot to test the tension. Ask me how I know!! :o

Linda

Pam,

I don't know what you were told, but generally we say, if you are comfortable with the yo-yo test then don't spend the money on the gauge. However if you are not comfortable with the yo-yo test, then absoulutely use the tension gauge... The gauge is a Great tool!

We don't want to sell you something that is expensive and not going to be of use for you!

Have a Good Day!

I got so tired of the bobbin dropping out that I finally got the TOWA and I love it. I find the tension that works best with my bobbin thread (mostly Bottom Line for me) and set it to that every time. Sometimes the top thread will affect how my stitches come out and I'll have to change the settings on a thread, but most of the time I can just read off my list of settings for the different threads and go.

I did once read about a test where you set the bobbin case (with the bobbin in it) on the table. Now you pull on the thread so that the bobbin case stands up on end. The thread should pull out of the case without lifting the case off the table. I liked this little test. I didn't have any bobbin chasing to do, but by this time I'd already bought the TOWA so I don't have to guess anymore or fiddle around :).

I have the Towa Gauge and I'm not sure that I am doing it correctly. The instructions are written in every language imaginable, but the pictures and instructions are confusing. I'm putting in with the "stop" at the top so that it clicks in. I bring it up through the white guide on the bottom then around the top white guide. From there I bring it down to the notch at the bottom and over to the cutter. I am using a new bobbin case and it is showing a 20 on a pre-wound bobbin. When I pull on the thread it feels very tight and in the "yoyo" test it doesn't drop at all. I'm just not sure I'm doing anything right with this. All I know is my tension isn't right and I've been playing with the top tension all day. Help!

Phyllis Hughes

Archived