Top thread jumping out of eye

My thread just does not want to stay in the eye over the needle when doing SID and Continous Curves. It tangles up on it and if I don't catch it right away it breaks especially when going to the right. I have just had this problem recently so it's not making sense to me as I don't believe anythig is different. Mostly it's driving me crazy and I don't like all the stops and starts. I get no thread breakage when doing pantos or freemotion only when going slow. Any ideas??? jeri

I ususally have this problem on the loop right above the thread cone....my solution is to take a small amount of batting and roll it up and then slide it in to the opening. Since the batting is there the thread cannot jump out. Doesn't look all that neat, but the quilt stitches remain uniform and that is what I'm going for! I would think you could do the same thing for any of the wire thread carriers...you would just have to make sure the wad of batting stays wedged and doesn't fall into the carrier....or interfer with the thread path in any way.

Cheryl in Iowa

Jeri:

It sounds like your thread may be twisting between the two eyes. I've found my thread sometimes gets caught on the screw head that attaches the first eye (right below the thread take up lever). Try rethreading from just behind the tensioner and see if that helps. You can also try turning your cone over to see if maybe it is wound just a little "wonky". HTH.

sammi

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I tried the batting idea and just ended up with the thread breaking even more often as there isn't much space in that little eye. I haven't tried the tape idea yet though I did angle the needle screw toward the back of the machine a bit incase that was the problem. I was looking at a friend"s new maintanence book and there is a different eye pictured. I may have to get one of those at MQS and try it. It does seem to happen more often with King Tutt thread than with the Bottom Line that I was using yesterday.

Back to work, won't have to worry about this problem today as all the SID is done and it's echo's and borders for me today. jeri

Sue it's coming out of and tangeling in the eye above the needle. The only times are when I'm going slowly such as doing SID and usually when I'm going left to right at the front of the machine. It doesn't seem to matter what threads I'm using. jeri

Archived