Hi Janey,

I can only tell you what I know, maybe you'll hear from others, too. I use W & N, Quilters Dream cotton and QD Poly. I don't use Hobbs.

Warm & Natural cotton batt (Warm & White, too) has a scrim. I believe the scrim is like poly grid that helps stabilize the batting. I have always used W & N with the scrim side down(I call it dirty side up because the top has tiny flecks).

The consequence of using it upside down is normally pokeys, that is, needle holes may have tiny white spots of batting sticking out. You can get that with a burred needle, too, though.

Thank you for your reply Linda. Over 20 people looked at the question and you are the only one that replied! Is it possible that no one pays much attention to the scrim? I loaded a quilt basted the batting down and then floated the top and noticed I had the scrim which, I believe, is the smooth side down. Well, I am going to go with it and see how it goes. Thanks again, Janey

Hi Janey,

Scrim is the rougher textured side. I use W&N, and it has a scrim. That goes towards your quilt backing. However, I was just at a trade show and the natural company is coming out with at least 2 new batts that don't have a scrim. Good rule of thumb for me, is rougher side towards the backing.

Beth

Archived