have top.....now what?

I found (and bought!) a quilt top that's been done by hand. NOW what do I do? I've made lots of tied comforters, and assume I should now get a sheet pad and decide on a back print fabric or old sheet.....but how do I attach the 3 parts? By hand? By machine? I have just a regular sewing machine with no fancy attachments, no quilting tools but for long quilter's straight pins. The hand done top is gorgeous and in perfect shape. It appears to be about double or queen size. Being an educator, I know I should take a class in quilting, but just have too many other projects going right now. Is this project doable for me to finish it....or should I be looking for a professional quilter to finish it up? Thanks so much for any and all advice.

Babs

Hi Babs--I peeked at your profile and you seem to be a busy lady. If you are not a quilter, starting your first attempt on a hand-pieced larger top may not be the way to go. I guess that would depend on how much it cost and the ultimate use--re-sale, gift, keepsake, decor item? This chat is full of professional and non-pro sewers and quilters. The best advice would be to find some help to send you in the right direction. Find a local fabric shop and take the top there for some advice--those friendly places love to steer you to classes, books, guilds, and maybe a local longarmer.

To start your education into this wonderful world, the quilt sandwich is made of the top, batting in the middle (cotton, polyester, a blend of both, wool, silk, or even flannel) and the backing fabric (preferably not a sheet for this hand-pieced top.)

If you are busy with lots of other projects, hand it off to a pro and you will be happy with the outcome!!

Welcome to the chat and hope you find a way to enjoy the quilt.

Well, and I so much appreciate your frank suggestions. I shall follow them in order and I suspect I will end up handing it off to a pro. I plan to keep this quilt for our home---building a new home and am using huge old oak and pine cupboards as room/area dividers with quilts tossed over their backs. Thanks so much for your advice....and for promptly sharing your knowledge and experience.

Peace,

Babs

Hi Babs,

One other thought about your old quilt, and displaying it. When you are finished with your house, be sure that any surface you use to display your quilts has a finish. Stain, varnish, paint, but no bare wood. That will cause something from the wood to leech into your lovely quilt, and make a brown stain. Not so attractive. Also, be sure to re-fold the quilts every few months so that they don't develop permanent creases from being in the same position, or folded at the same point. This will also create stress on the fabrics, and possibly, eventually a tear. No storing them in plastic bags until the house is finished either. If they will be in a closet at the old house while the new one is being built, just stuff them loosly into a pillowcase and then to the closet, or box.

Have fun,

Beth

If you have never quilted before I too would recomend you begin with something smaller. Maybe a pillow...............which is a tiny quilt. You can find books on the library on how to quilt.

Be careful though because quilting is a bug that is hard or in my case impossilbe to get rid of. Old quilts hung over a nice display rack look great. You can also display a top that has not been quilted. If it is old just be careful as the fabrics are not as strong due to age.

Archived