Do I Need Different Machine Needles for Batik Backing?

I need advice on the best needle size to use on Batik quilts. I have been using MR4.0 needles on all my quilts so far, but have recently read that larger needles are recommended because of the tight fabric weave of batiks.

I just noticed that APQS sells MR5.0 needles as well as 4.0. What would these be best suited for? (I can't remember if the number goes up or down for larger size...)

I thought I'd seek advice BEFORE I encounter a problem.

FYI - I have actually quilted on batiks before - mostly with no problem. But I have two batik quilts ahead of me and I want to be prepared with backup needles (new size) if necessary.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Guest Linda S

Well, I will probably find out this weekend. Most folks I have heard talk about this on one of my other lists do fine with a 4.0 or 18 needle. Just make sure you've got a sharp and not a ballpoint. I have a batik top and back coming up and we'll see how it goes!

Linda

My partner does most of the quilting for the sample quilts for a new Batik company called SewBatik. (www.sewbatik.com) They have 108 and 110" backing fabrics which makes them unique in the market, but also means that we have a lot of quilts with batiks top and bottom. We use a lot of polyester thread top and signature cotton bottom because our customers like the look of the added sheen the poly gives. Stitches great, looks great.

Terry uses the 3.5 needle because the larger ones leave a big hole that is unattractive. Try it, you'll like it.

I agree with Kathy. I use a 3.5 MR needle for most of my quilting because I don't like the larger hole you get from the 4.0 MR. I have never had any problems with batiks unless I have to take them out. I've never quite figured out how to close the holes. They mostly come out the first time they are washed though.

Archived