Back Country Quilt Show

My little town just finished its 7th annual Back Country Quilt Show. We had a blast. I will post more photos on my blog when blogspot fixes their current "technical difficulties".

We had 85 quilts in the show. I had a longarm booth with another longarmer. We\'re trying to drum up business so we borrowed a demo table from the Quilted Rose and took one of our machines to the show to quilt charity quilts. We had quilt samples and brochures to pass around. But the real excitement was the crowd that gathered when we fired up the machine and started doing freemotion quilting. It was surprising how many people had never seen a longarm quilt machine. What fun! :D Here is a fun side story.

Two weeks ago, my friend Sally was at the LQS buying border fabric for her kingsize gold batik Arkansas Crossroads quilt. Martha, the owner of the Crazy9Patch, had the quilt spread out to look at it. Another quilter commented on how nice the quilt was, the fabric and the pattern were beautiful. Sally, who is very modest, simply said "Thank you".

A few minutes later, the other quilter left and I asked Martha how often Eleanor Burns comes into her quilt shop. Eleanor has a retreat up in Julian right up the road from our little town of Ramona. Sally got excited and asked when Eleanor Burns was coming to the shop. Both Martha and I busted up laughing. The quilter who had just complimented Sally\'s quilt a few minutes before she left was Eleanor Burns. Sally was so excited that Eleanor had liked her quilt. It turned out to be a beautiful quilt. I used gold thread to quilt feathers in the crossroads and a simple pattern in the blocks. So today, at the quilt show, Sally let me feature the quilt in our booth.

About 1 PM today, just as my feet were starting to ache from quilting at the show, I noticed a familiar face. Yes, it was Eleanor Burns. So I showed her Sally\'s completed quilt, signaled across the room for Sally to come to the booth and got a fabulous photo of this foursome: Eleanor Burns, Sally, Chrissy and her gold batik quilt.

sally-eleanor.jpg

Linda\'s not in that picture. Why not? Were you the photographer?

Neat story, and great way to drum up business. I got a call last night from a gal wanting me to set up at their church craft festival the 10th of November. It would be so cool if I could take my machine and demo. How much does a 8 or 10 foot demo table cost? Where would I get one?

Maybe I could have my son video tape me quilting and get some good close ups and stuff. Thanks for the awesome idea.

Archived