New Wheels and axles

I tried to catch Connie at MQS, but she was busy when I wasn't. So Connie, I have a question for you. I want to order the new wheels, but need to know if I need to order the axles as well. Also, when making circles with my Hartley fence, I don't think they are really right. I put them into a stack and whack quilt recently and put the needle in the center as instructed. When I got out to the furthest circle, the distance from the center was different from one side to the other. Am I doing something wrong, or do I need to make an adjustment?

I took the class at MQS and would really like to make more use of my fence. Please let me know if there is anything I need to do to get more perfect circles.

Thanks, Teresa, APQS Millie

Guest Linda S

Teresa - you don't "have to" do anything you don't want to do! I got the new wheels without the new axles. I guess I should have tried the machines at MQX to see if I was missing anything by not getting the axles too, but I like the improvement in the machine as is, and I can move anywhere I want to go. So, it is possible to get the wheels separately! :)

Linda

Iam a new quilter just a year. I have a Millennium. Have not been able to go to any shows as of this time hope to be able to go soon I live in Virginia not to many shows here for longarm machine.

Am I missing something what are wheels and Axles? Are there new? Will they help make the machine run more smoothly, and not so uneven

Carolyn

QuiltFrogs

APQS Millennium

Hi Carolyn, From what I gather the new wheels will make the Millie run smoother. I have not tried them yet and am waiting for a response from Connie before I decide if I need both wheels and axels. I might just try the wheels and then add the axels if I need to. I have had my machine about 2 years, and from what I understand the new machines have the new wheels on them from the factory. I don't know when they started that.

Good luck!

Teresa

Prairie House Quilting

APQS Millie:)

Hi Teresa,

I am sorry!!!!! I don't know how I missed this question, but I just now came across it!

The reason for the axels is to put the soft-mounts in them.. We have to drill them out, so your machine won't have the axels drilled!

The wheels are on back-order, probably until July.. We are suppose to get some in June, but we have a pretty long waiting list!

You can try the axels and soft -mounts for $25.00 (you have to send back your old axels)

Then if that doesn't help, you can get put on the list for the new wheels!!

Let me know if I can help!

That's ok Connie, I know how busy you are. I would like to try the axels, but how hard is it to replace them myself?

Did you see my question about the circles with the Hartley Fence? "Also, when making circles with my Hartley fence, I don't think they are really right. I put them into a stack and whack quilt recently and put the needle in the center as instructed. When I got out to the furthest circle, the distance from the center was different from one side to the other, as much as 1/4 inch. Am I doing something wrong, or do I need to make an adjustment?" I think something is out of whack, either my table or my fence. What do you think I need to do about that? Any help would be appreciated. Teresa

• 1 month later...

Did anyone ever answer your question about the Fence?

I find that I need to locate the center of the block, put the needle down, then move the fence into position and lock it down. Then I bring the needle up and make the machine move in a circle without stitching and measure at various points, to make sure that the stitched circle will be reasonably centered. I fine tune the placement of the fence as needed.

I have also drilled out a rubber eraser and use it like a stopper on the placement pin after putting the pin in the desired hole on the arm of the circle maker. I find the circles are a lot better if the arm is held parallel to the base (which the eraser does!) instead of hanging down at a slight angle.

Someone also recently suggested moving the machine with the placement pin when making circles instead of the machine handles.

Good luck with your circles!

Cathy in NC

Archived