Need (paper) piecing advice

Hi everyone,

I will be starting to piece my Ton Schulten landscape top in the next days (yeah, finally!!) and I need your advice!

I will be creating the top, but I will then send it off to Janine Alers and her Millie for the finishing quilting touch!

I have created and printed the pattern at full size in my Pre-Design program.

Now what would be the best for me to do: paper piece it on paper (which I then carefully tear away and iron the top, seams open) or should I use a very thin vlieseline stabilizer to "paper"piece the parts? The vlieseline would stay, so there won't be any seams on the back side of the top.

What would be the best or easiest for the final quilting on a millie: without paper, but with seams, or on real thin vlieseline stabilizer?

Thanks in advance for all your input!!

Loes

Loes,

I am not exactly sure what you mean by the vlieseline stabilitzer. However, that is the way I would go. Some of your pieces will be on the bias and the stabilizer would keep it flat. I have used paper and it is hard to keep from stretching the fabric when you take off the paper. The thin stabilizer would not have to be removed. All said I think that you should check with Janine to see what she prefers.

Pamela

I took a class from Carol Doak who is a queen of paper piecing and she recommended making your stitch smaller. I\'ve done a few and ripping the paper is easier if the stitch is smaller. It\'s a messy job to rip all that paper but the results are worth it. Get a good movie on and rip, rip, rip and get a big waste basket nearby.

Thanks everyone!! I am going to use thin paper, with a small stitch, and spray it lightly to remove the paper. Thanks, can\'t wait to get started!

At the quiltshow in Waalre last week I purchased the book "Landscape in Contemporary Quilts" by Ineke Berlyn. Beautiful projects, so I just have to start and keep going to fill every corner of my home with landscape quilts :)

We have some great landscape photos made in Italy, but also in our neigborhood, just waiting to be turned into quilts...

Loes

Another tip for removing paper after piecing, is yes, smaller stitches, but at least a size 14 needle.. I put it on something with give under it, like the ironing pad, or arm of a chair, etc.. sprits it lightly with water, then use the rounded edge of a teas sppon to run over the lines and most of the tearing is done. I then keep the pinty tip pliers from my serger tools hand to pick the little pieces out. Makes it so much quicker. I\'ve even been known to use a hand brush to lighly go after some of the paper bits,, but rough ness will really help fray the fabrics, too.

Rita

I have 100 ppd cranes that are 4" finished to make for my dd

I\'m going to print out the pattern on wash away stablizer so I don\'t have to take out the paper....just chuck into the wash when finished. Going to make a sample in the next few days and will post results.

Elsie

Archived