Hartley Fence Circles

I just attached my Hartley Fence last night and I'm so excited to see all those perfect circles. I'm ready to try it on a customer quilt. One question: when I start I take the little stitches to secure; when I came back around my ends aren't meeting - why? Am I applying more pressure when I'm ending? Any suggestions. And then how do you end the circle? My starts and stops are showing up pretty good on the back. Thanks for any/all suggestions.

Sharon.

P.S. Myrna, I did buy your book and it has been very helpful!

Sharon,

Another hint that helps make sure the circle beginning and endings meet up is to NOT drive the machine with its handles. The length of the idler bar creates a bit of flex as you move across the "12:00" and "6:00" positions (and the flex is even worse if you have the soft mounts.)

Instead, create the circle by "driving" the machine with the knob on the end of the pin that enters the circle attachment. You\'ll eliminate all "human" influence on the machine and will have much better starts and stops.

Glad you figured out how to get that mounted to your table!

Have fun!

Dawn--thanks for that great tip---that is what my farmer husband figured out for me--he helped me put the Hartley on my table and then thought it looked like fun--so I tried first and got a perfect---EGG--so I was sure that a bar was crooked or something was wrong--so he tried and got a perfect--CIRCLE!!!! Now that is the joke in our family--if I need circles on a quilt--I have to pay him to do them for me.

But I tried driving it with just the knob and it really helped!!

My farmer husband is always helping me attach "stuff" to my machine too. Aren\'t they just great. The funny part is he will even try it on fabric. The day I saw him walk around to the front and actually grab the handles and begin quilting I could have died laughing inside. I wish I had a movie.

DH\'s coffee shop pals like to tease him about going quilting too...He made the mistake of saying in 2004 that he was taking me to PIQF in Santa Clara CA. He has attended many quilt shows and gone shop hopping with me too.

Archived