stupid loopies!

I am really new at longarm quilting. Have a new millenium and love it. However, I am getting those long loopy stitches on the back of the quilt. I have tried rethreading, adjusting tension, cleaning out bobbin case, cussing, but nothing is working. Can anyone help me? Like I said, I'm very new at longarm quilting...

A longarm sewing machine takes a lot more turns to adjust your tension. If you are thinking about a regular sewing machine just a fraction of a turn makes a difference. With your longarm you may not see any difference with that kind of adjustment.

Here is something to try. Put on your test sandwitch (quilt) and make a line of stitching. move over a 1/2 inch and turn your tension 1/2 a turn clockwise to tighten (rightsy tightsy) and make another line of stitching. Continue doing that until you can see the bobbin thread being pulled to the top. This will give you a visual of what the different tension settings will look like. Have your stitch lengh set for a long stitch so you can see the effect better.

Loopies are sometimes caused by tension or the check spring on the tension adjuster. The check spring should be sitting at about 10 o'clock. It should be free and have enought tension to take up the thread when the arm comes down with the thread. If this slack is not pulled back you will get loopies. Check this spring then check your bobbin tension and lastly adjust the top tension. It is like a tug of war that ends in a draw with the knot in the middle of your quilt. Hope this helps.

John

Archived