Skipped stitches, pulling, etc.

I recently mentioned on another topic that I have just reassembled my machine and installed the new wheels. It just will not run right now. It seems to be pulling against me and the stitches are irregular, some a normal length, then jumping to an inch then skips, all the while pulling like crazy. I have tried it both with and without the stitch reg. on. Also, there are lots of pokies on the back. Please help! Linda Kate

Hi Katie

I would be checking your rubber encoder wheels on the carriage and on the machine head. It sounds like the rubber wheel is not connecting sufficiently with the inside of the machine wheels and this will cause what is sometimes incorrectly described as a skipped stitch.

The way you will know if it is a skipped stitch or a long stitch is to look at the needle holes in the fabric. If the needle holes are consistently spaced this is a skipped stitch. If they correspond to the length of stitch you are getting this is an adjustment of the encoder wheels (rubber). This is the most likely cause since you just replaced your wheels.

I think Connie's top ten tips has instructions on how to set the height of the encoder wheel inside the machine wheel. I set mine so that the rubber wheel connects to the top of the inside curve of the wheel - not in the middle as this makes everything stiff to move.

Hope this helps.

Sue in Australia

Archived