thread matches too well

I'm a new Millie owner and I've been working on charity quilts to improve my skills. Last night I was doing free motion feathers and I discovered my thread matched the fabric so well that I couldn't see where I had stitched. It was like sewing with my eyes shut? Is there something I could do to improve my ability to see the stitching? I have full spectrum overhead lights in my studio.

Janet in MI

Janet,

Try turning off the light bulb on the machine (it\'s the little black knob on the right front side of the head). Then add some side lighting that shines across the surface or your quilt.

This can be done by putting a small clamp-on lamp on to one of the legs, or by placing a floor lamp with the shade removed off to the side of the machine.

If your full spectrum lighting is really illuminating the work surface, you may also need to turn them off and work with the side light only.

This side lighting creates shadows across the quilt so that you can see where you\'ve been and where you are going. It works great for stitching on busy fabrics, using white thread on white fabric, or black on black, etc.

Hope this sheds light on the subject:).

I\'ve been quilting on two layers polar fleece, and had a similar problem because the thread sinks down into the fleece. I found that turning of the machine light really helped just as Dawn C. suggested. (thanks Dawn):)

My frame is also by a large window with natural morning light and I found working early in the morning with the machine light off and the light from the window coming across the fleece helped so much.

Archived