Bait & Switch?

Dh decided we need to buy a color laser printer to print our own cover page for our patterns for Spring Market (alot cheaper!) I did alot of research to find out what would work best for our small home based business. Went to some office supply stores here in town, some were small family owned to larger big box names. I called one local small family owned (I always try to buy local first). The salesman was very nice and listened to what was I doing and what I thought we might need to look at. I told him that I would not need the the document feeder or the extras drawers for paper storage. He said I could get the basic model for $3500.00 and started telling me all the things this machine could do-I said I would call DH and see if he could meet me there to look at what seemed very promising! DH took time from work to look at this machine - OH the salesman was gooooood! He showed us things that I did not know could be done by a copier! He got us both all "Randy" for this machine & I would have written a check right there and then but he said he had to give a written price estimate before we could buy it. Ok do it! we said. Then... he tells DH (all of a sudden I became invisable) that we have to buy the document feeder and the drawers for paper storage and a monthly contract for $85.00 a month for 1000 copies if I make more than that I pay an addional fee. He said he ordered the feeder and the drawers to show how they all work together and that he could not sell them on thier own so we had to buy them with that machine!! All different from what he told me!! I was furious!!!! we got the estimate for over $8500.00. We purchased a different laser printer color copier from a different company the very next day!!! Staples still sees alot of us tho, after all we still need paper to print on right? Anyway I just got off the phone with the owner of the company I just told you about. I called Helena to let him know why we did not buy there and he said he was very happy that I called him to let him know what happened to us! He said most people would not have done that! Now he can address the problem he would not have known about otherwise! I hope I did the right thing .. I did not tell the salesman why we did not buy from him, after all I was invisable right? anyway we have a new color laser printer and are on our way to printing the next in my pattern line!!

Sewhappy

Patty, sorry you had to go through that "bait and switch" sales pitch. I don\'t know if he was pulling a fast one on you or not, but it sounds like it! I\'m glad you reported it to the owner and he can handle it with employee/sales person.

Isn\'t "bait and switch" an illegal business practice? Hmmmm... I think I remember your DH is a cop/detective, right? Maybe he can check the law and do a quick little background check on this sales rep...maybe he has a history using this sneaky maneuver??

Anyway, glad to know you are in business now with a decent printer. So....when do we get to see some pictures of these patterns? :)

PS: How is your allergic reaction? Everything OK now?

Shana-

Yes thank you I am lots better the swelling is gone but the fingers are still alitlle painful. Pictures....well from reading many other posts I feel better knowing I am not the only one who has problems posting here....My web site should be up and running soon and I will be able to post pics there (I have to - they are my patterns that are for sale).

As far as the copier ...The sales man did not really do the bait and switch as the same machine was available, it was still snake like adding the attachments and apparently that is not illegal!! just wrong! Oh well, everything happens for a reason and we got a better machine for less money and NO monthly contract!!:D

Sewhappy

Archived