Thread shredding or wrapping around needle

Shredding thread needs a new needle or a needle with a larger eye. Then check that the needle is rotated correctly--the eye should be staring soldier-like straight to the front. Make sure the scarf (bendy indentation) is at the back and that bulge is towards the front. Pretty technical talk, huh!

If your thread is breaking, but not shredding, make a cup of tea, get a soft chair and do a search here for thread breaking. It has been addressed lots of times. The first place to look is under FAQs. The tea and chair is because you will need a bit of time to read up on this--lots of info!

Why this would happen only right to left may indicate a need to tighten up on the top tension with a corresponding adjustment to the bobbin. If you are getting nice stitches otherwise, it is not a timing issue (probably).

I hope some of this helps--trying everything takes time but will have your machine happy soon.

Thanks to both of your replys. My needle has only been used on one other quilt. None of the needle, fabrics, bat or thread is different than I\'ve used numerous times in the past 6 years I\'ve been long-arming. The thread type is permacore.I\'ll continue to try and figure it out. I\'ve been gone all day so I\'m going to try now for first time today. I was just hoping this has happened to someone before and I could take care of it quicker than trial and error or checking numerous things. Thanks again.

Jennifer

• 4 months later...

Okay, I am having the same issue all of a sudden. doing a quilt with some strange batting that the customer insists on me using, but I can only go about 2 inches maybe three and then my thread is shredding. I have changed needle, readjusted both top and bottom tension. I can hear it when it starts to shred as my bobbin case makes weird sounds. Any suggestions from all of you experienced people. I have been so happy lately that my girl and I have found our sweet spot that this has kind of thrown me for a loop. Appreciate any help

• 2 months later...

This is the very first time I've chatted - period - so am not sure of the way things are done. I'm very new to the quilting hobby and even more new to machine quilting. I'm having a lot of trouble with the thread shreading and breaking (top thread) - any ideas for a fix. I'm using YLI Machine Quilting thread, dark green - going through regular cotton fabric and warm and natural batting. Help!

I had this issue just yesterday..loosened up the tension on top about 2 twists and it stopped...I was using Isacord which I hadn't had a problem with before, but this spool was varigated, maybe a little older or something? Try the tension and then maybe another spool of thread...

Vicki

Hey Gals, I have discovered one thing from working in sewing factories,( Norwalk Furniture in Ohio) ,that darker thread is almost always thicker than lighter colored threads. So when you go from a white to navy for instance just loosen the tension a bit. If you then go to a lighter color on the next quilt then tighten it again. I did't know if you all knew this or not. Carol :P

Archived