Blueberry Buckle

This is one of my all time favorite cakes...also great as a coffeecake.

2 Cups plus 1 to 2 Tbsp sifted all purpose flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 C (1/2 stick) butter, softened

3/4 c sugar

1 large egg

1/2 c milk

1 pint blueberries

Topping:

1/4 c (1/2 stick) butter, softened

1/2 c sugar

1/3 c flour

1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease an 8 inch springform pan. Set aside.

Sift together the 2 c flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg. Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the milk.

Toss the berries with the remaining Tbsp or 2 of flour (to separate and scatter evenly throughout the batter) and fold in. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Set a side.

Combine ingredients for topping with a fork to make a crumbly mixture. Sprinkle this over the batter spreading evenly.

Bake for 1 hour, then test for doneness by inserting a cake tester. If it does not come out clean, give the cake another 5 to 10 minutes to bake.

When cake has cooled, run a knife around the edges and lift out of pan. Serve with whipped cream generously spiked with rum or vanilla ice cream.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 13 years later...

I was really missing blueberry fruitcake (I know almost everyone hates it), but I found a substitute. I did the recipe below but with blueberries instead of cranberries and used around a cup of pecans and walnuts. My husband doesn’t like fruit cake but he loved this cake. Unfortunately though none of the non-keto family members would even try it.

• 1 year later...

Ingredients
FOR THE STREUSEL

It's my fav recipe

1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted
1/3 c. firmly packed light brown sugar 
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon or cardamom
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
FOR THE BUCKLE
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. granulated sugar
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1/2 c. whole milk
2 tsp. lemon zest
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. fresh blueberries, divided
Nonstick cooking spray

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375°. 
For the streusel: Stir together the melted butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add the flour and salt, stirring until combined. Set aside while making the cake.

For the buckle: Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat the butter and sugar at medium speed using a handheld mixer or stand mixer until creamy in a large bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined after each addition. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with milk, beating until just combined after each addition. Stir in the lemon zest and vanilla, then gently fold in 2 cups of the blueberries.

Spray a 9-by-9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan; sprinkle the top of the batter with the remaining 1 cup blueberries. Using your fingers, crumble the streusel mixture and sprinkle it evenly over the berries and batter.
Bake until a tester comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool 20 minutes before slicing.