Quilting Silk Fabric

I have been discussing quilting possibilities for a Log Cabin, silk wall hanging with a quilt maker. They are 24 inch blocks, 3 inch bands of fabrics - "modern" look/colors. The maker wants it quilted very loose so that the shades and textures of the silk show. She is thinking of having me just tack it every so often with my frame. She feels quilting or stitch-in-ditch will be too "tight" to give her the effect she is looking for. It is not yet finished so I have not seen it. Have any of you quilted silk top/bottom with thin poly batting? Just tacked and not quilted? Not sure if hand tying or backtacking should be used. Ideas or pitfalls?

Don Fagnan

I broke the rules with a log cabin last year - it was shot cotton and gold lame and I quilted swirly worms all over it! I think this added to the texture and shine and did not cause a distraction. If only tacked a bit won\'t it all be a bit baggy on the wall? My shot 2 Pieces is in my webshots... but that\'s just my two penn\'orth!

LINZI x

Silk quilts beautifully! If you have seen any of Claudia Pfiel\'s work you will notice nearly everything she has done is on silk fabrics. If the client plans on hanging the quilt it REALLY does need quilting; otherwise it will begin to sag very badly in just a few days. Seems to me that modern colored fabrics would call for some "modern style" quilting!

A longarm quilter in Durango has done several silk quilts. The silk was hand dyed. One was dyed in a swirly pattern. She quilted by following the swirl design and used a thread that blended. The swirl was very open and looked great. I believe she used Superior threads. Just slow down and do an open design and it looks great.

Archived