table lift/pantos

I am having trouble with pantos, but do much better following a pattern with the lazer from the front of the machine. Could it be harder to follow the pattern from the back of the table because the table is lower? Considering purchase of the lift, but not sure if table height is my problem. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Carol

Heidi,

Thanks for the tip. I think the stool makes more sense(cheaper)! I will try that first. I\'m only 5\'2". But, working from the back feels like a struggle. Like it\'s not smooth. A stool will be my next purchase. I\'ve been avoiding pantos because of this. Thanks again for the help

Carol

Carol,

Just like freemotion, doing a pantograph takes a lot of practice....or at least it did for me. I used simple pantos to learn on going to more complex ones later. After I could do them, I realized I had "learned the motion" for curves, loops points etc. and I also *thought* the motion or shape I was doing. Be sure you are looking ahead of the laser light, looking for your next point (pause). If your machine feels stiff from the back, check the height of the leveling bar...you should be able to slide your hand under the bar up to the first knuckle of your fingers. I\'m also 5\'2" and find that using my body to move the machine as opposed to just my arms or hands, helps too. I still find it harder to use the laser light from the front of the machine.....go figure.

My husband (being the helpful gut that he is) said he could do customer quilts that just have a panto and help me get caught up. Mind you he has never quilted with a long arm. So I had him do a dry run following a chantilly lace pattern and he found out real quick its not as easy as it looks. I will let him pracitce on muslin though and see if I can use him as a backup quilter when I\'m under the weather.

My 10 year old grandson thought the same thing. I let him quilt a tiny quilt for a doll and he found out quickly that it wasn\'t as easy to stay on the lines as he thought. He wanted to back up if he thought he made a mistake and found out that doesn\'t work. What a chuckle. But he still wants to learn.

Archived