Plastic Spools

Hi Diane...

A lot of the schools around here collect "beautiful junk". I used to give all my empty spools to the local kindergarten class, they would use them in different ways in their arts and crafts. A woman in our guild also collects our small scraps to donate to a day care for their artwork.

It's nice to see our "junk" recycled in such a way. :)

Sandra

Hi Diane,

I too have a pile of these spools/cones sitting on top of each other in my studio. I have given some to a friend for her local kindergrten.

However, my brother once gave me a handmade clown to sit on my bed. The clown was about 2 to 3 feet high, but he was flexible and sat on the bed beautifully. I always admired his hat, a beautiful plastic cone with stars stuck all over it, elastic ran through two holes drilled in the base of the cone and down around his chin. I always looked, but had never been able to find these plastic cones. This was quite a few years ago, and sadly the clown is long gone. BUT imagine my surprise when I became a longarm quilter and emptied my first cone - Here was the base for my clowns hat from many years ago.

I keep my cones now - because one day I intend to work how how to produce these clowns. But the cones cound be used for a hat for any small stuffed toy.

Cheers

Cherie in Australia

Archived