Monofilament thread ?

I've never used monofiliment invisible thread (tried the "fishing line type" ages ago and hated it). I have a request from a customer to use it on her quilt. The background is black with bright batiks in the blocks, the backing fabric is a mottled gray and black. I have ordered the smoke monopoly from Superior and am wondering if I should use it in the bobbin as well as on the top or should I use an Aurifil black or gray in the bobbin? Thanks, jeri

Hi Jeri,

I would caution you on using the mono on top & bottom, it just wont hold a tight stitch! :o

If you use the mono on top & a matching thread on the bottom, you should be good to go!;)

Let us know how it quilts up!

I won't use 2 "slick" threads together either. I totally agree with Linda that the stitch won't hold as well when using mono in the bobbin and on top!! Although, I also try to persuade my customers to use the Bottom Line instead because BL blends very well and I don't have to worry over the issues surrounding mono- Less stress for me is always a good thing!!!

I have to agree with the mono on top and the colored on the bottom.

I have done a customers quilt with Mono before, I ordered a spool from Superior. I had no problems with it at all.

The quilt that I quilted for her is now up at one of my local guilds quilt show. I have gotten tons of compliments and questions on it. When I finished the quilt, I called and told her I would not give it back. The way the light hits it, it looks as if it has glitter in it, or it is multi-colored thread.

I think you will be please with the results, provided the thread and the machine get along.

Blessings and hugs

Tracey

Thanks for everyone's input. The thread should arrive today or tomorrow. I plan in testing it on a practice quilt before using it on Grace's quilt. I'm playing with Pam Clarke's Background Frenzie CD and actually working on the butterfly with all kinds of variegated threads. I've been pleasantly surprized that the Sulky Blendables seem to work the same as King Tutt and are considerable cheaper, I don't even have to change the tension.

Archived