Bobbin thread looping

Over the last couple of weeks, when I put in a bobbin, i hold the tail and put the bobbin in place, hoping to keep it from getting tangled in anything.. I always pull up the bobbin thread before I begin stitching.When I begin stitching, the bobbin thread somehow becomes tangled around the tab that you hold to insert the bobbin case.

I dust and oil before every new bobbin, I most often use the superior pre-wound bottom line thread. sometimes, it takes me 2-3 trys to get the bobbin thread not to wind around that tab on the bobbin case.

Of course with the bobbin wound around that tab, the tension is way too tight on the bottom. Any suggestions as to why this might be happening. I\'m just thinking now that I haven\'t changed a needle lately, but can\'t see how that would impact the bobbin thread. The top thread is always correctly threaded and not tangled.

You all are so helpful, can\'t wait to hear what you think up!

Hi Holly,

I don\'t use prewounds as much as I used to. I found that I got a smoother run when I removed the cardboard on the bobbins.

I know it sounds like Duh, but it happens. If the open side of the bobbin case (with bobbin loaded) is facing up, and you pull the thread slowing, does the bobbin spin clockwise? I don\'t know how I sometimes manage to put the bobbin in wrong.

Is the bobbin spring worn?. If I didn\'t have a spare bobbin spring handy, I just removed the spring and pushed the fingers up so they make good contact with the bobbin.

I know that you said that you cleaned the bobbin case, but sometimes it helps to give it a good blast of air and a magnifying glass can see better than my eyes. I take a alcohol-dabbed q-tip to the inside of the bobbin clip on top of the case to make sure nothing is hiding in there. I noticed that it gets more lint and thread debris when I have thread that breaks a lot.

I hope you figure it out. I\'m sure that you will get ideas from some other quilters, too.

I actually never hold the tab when I insert the bobbin. I just hold on to the case with one hand and the tail of the thread with the other and pop it in and only use the tab when I take it out.

another thing I can think of is maybe your spring needs replaced??

I also do have troubles when i used a non-prewound bobbin at the very beginning of the bobbin...the thread likes to unravel and that can mess you up too...so I set my winder to not wind quite as much on.

Archived