I went wacky on my wheels!

I was setting up to do a block design with my laser from the front. My machine felt "not smooth" like it was grabbing so I thought I would try adjusting my wheels, so I loosened a bit. That didin't seem any better, so I tightened them. Then I cleaned them and waxed the rails. Now they are AWFUL!!! I am afraid to play anymore.

Let me just say, also that I am keeping the cam in the same position from left to right for the same wheels, like the book says.

Is there a good "do-over" place to start? You know, something like "tighten as much as you can and loosen by one hour at a time"? Also, before starting I noticed the bottom wheels were very loose compared to the top ones.

Any help is appreciated!

My original theory on adjusting the wheels was that the looser they were adjusted, the easier the machine would move. WRONG! I had the cams at their loosest position and to move it was a nightmare. Finally I got out the manual and readjusted them back to where the manual said to start with, and it moved much better. One thing to be aware of is that after you have put the cams in position, to tighten the bolts on the bottom of the cams. They can become loose, and then your machine will not move smoothly. Also, only to turn the cams counter-clockwise. I don't know if you've seen the place on the website where they talk about adjusting the wheels, but here it is in case you haven't:

http://www.apqs.com/quiltingmachineadjustments.htm

They tell you there the best place to set your wheels, which will give you a starting point. I think maybe your bolts underneath might be loose. Also, never wax your rails again! You don't need to wax them. I just clean mine with a piece of batting with alcohol on it. When I had my Discovery, I would wax my rails, and they glided like butter at first, then it would move worse than ever and I'd have to wax them again. They say when you start waxing them, you have to keep it up forever (I don't know if that's true or not), so when I got my Liberty I decided that wax would never touch my rails!!

Hi Caron,

Set the cams where they are supposed to be, the 2-down on the front of the carraige should be at 9-10 (the narrow part) then make sure you just snug the bottom gold bolt.. do not over tighten it! Then go to the back of the machine and the 2- on the right, the front one (narrow part) should be at 4 and the back at 5..

Let me know if you can't get it!

Good Luck

Archived