How to Quilt Around the World QS Quilt?

I have had my machine for 11 months but haven't been able to work on it very much due to illness. I have a Trip Around the World Quilt made with pastel hand-dyed colors. Can any of you give me some idea of how to quilt this? Here was my thought - I have a Circle Lord and I was going to either use the Baptist Fan or King Clam Shells on the 2" squared pieces, the just a squiggly line through the 1" border with randomly put circles, and the echo quilt the border, around the applique on the borders. I guess my question is mainly, what kind of quilting to do on the trip around the world 2" squares? I am still new and this is the first large quilt I am quilting. It's for my mother-in-law for her birthday. Any help or advise you may have would be GREATLY appreciated.

Hi Jurcheck.

I recently finished a quilt that is somewhat similar. It is from the simple squares book. I'll try to attach a photo. I used the King Clams in the center and then did a fern type leaf in the border. The clamshell was very effective in the center and the quilt received lots of compliments at guild.

Hope this info helps.

post--13461897680656_thumb.jpg

Jurcheck

My favorite quilt is a vintage trip around the world that I quilted with the "cloud" pattern. The pattern is simple and shows off the quilt design and beautiful old fabric. Since it was old and did not have a border I did an edge to edge. I think any border is beautiful with a simple feather pattern. Good luck and let us know how it turns out

TJ

I did a king size trip around the world last year at Christmas time. I did the whole thing with freehand swirls (from Darlenes Pocket Books). It quilted up very nicely, let me allow for the fact that the piecer is not the most careful stitcher on the block, and let me stabilize the quilt in each of the pieces. I didnt have a camera then, so I dont have pictures, but it worked out really well.

good luck and post some pictures when you're done :)

Cynthia

Thank all of you for your responses. I'm terrified to put this quilt on. I've only done baby quilts and wall hangings. I like all the ideas.

Patty - I have a quilt top similiar to the one you put on for me to look at. I will definitely use the clam shell design for that one - it's a yellow brick road quilt.

I will post a picture of my quilt when it's finished, and I will, without fail, put the quilt on my machine tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Hi Gracious (don't know your name).

I used the King Clam templates from Circle Lord, so when I set them up on the table, I lined it up so that it would be centered within the quilt area. Like you would with a pantograph if you were just doing the center of the quilt. I hope this makes sense. I just happened to get lucky with this one and get full clams on both sides.

Patty

Archived