Pokeys...thread or batting?

I have read your posts often about pokeys...are you referring to batting or thread? I always thought you were talking about thread pokeys. Now I am working with Warm & Natural batting for the first time (Hobbs is my regular batting of choice). The stitches looked fine on my sample sandwich (top and bobbin) so I began quilting. After awhile I checked the backing and there are little dots of the batting being pushed through to the back. The stitch still looks fine on the top.

I switched to a smaller needle to see if the batting would still push through a smaller hole and it does. Is there a fix? I'd appreciate your advice. Nancy

First, make sure it is batting pokies and not just a hole filled with thread. If your top is tight on the rollers, it may be hard to tell. Loosen up and investigate that. If it is batting poking out you may have the batting wrong side up.

With W&N batting, it is loaded "dirty side" up--that is, the side with the most obvious debris present.

With W&W batting, match the direction of the needle-punched holes with the direction of your needle--that is, holes going through the top to the back.

Hobbs batting is loaded with the scrim toward the backer.

For QD I do the needle-direction thing and it seems to work.

After you finish and the top relaxes off the rollers you may find that the pokies are less noticable. If they make you crazy, take a dulled machine needle and poke those puppies back in!

Thread pokies are usually all about thin batting and thread showing through to the opposite side. This really isn'y a pokie--it is just show-through. The thinner batting leaves no place for the formed stitch to hide so it may lay on top or bottom and mess with your mind!

I hope you discover the cause. Have fun stitching away!

Nancy,

The only batting I have ever had this problem with is Hobbs. I normally use Quilters Dream and have never had that problem. It is infurriating to me to have batting pokies and I have found that they don't ever go back in. I'm going to do a tester to see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong but haven't had the time. I don't think I'm loading it wrong but I want to test to see if I can figure it out. I have a whole roll of Hobbs and would like to use it without ruining a quilt.

I recently finished a batik and black quilt, black batting, and black backing. I thought using the black batting would help to hide the pokeys. It had pokeys on the back, but it was actually the batiks from the front, only here and there, the batting didn't come through at all. weird.

Guest Linda S

I just finished two quilts with warm and natural batting and have decided not to accept it anymore. It is bearding waiting to happen. Plus, it doesn't give enough definition to the quilting. If a customer really wants warm and natural, she'll have to find another quilter.

Linda

Archived