I have on odd request from a client.....

I got a phone call today from the local LQS and they had a customer in their with a Boston Commons pattern made out of double knit. I was wondering if anyone had ever quilted on this before and how they faired with it? She is going to put a cotton backing on it and a very thin batting, because if she uses a heavy cotton batting, that thing will weigh a ton. Please give me you input on this, so I know what to expect when I get this quilt to do. Thank you...

My input in YIKES!!! I'm sure it will work out but I don't know why a person would want a double knit quilt. Best of luck. I have used minke as a backing it's stretchy and it worked fine. Maybe you should pin across the quilt here and there to keep it from stretching so much.

Oh yes, polyester double knit quilts...I remember them well! I have about a dozen of them around my house. That is all my husband's grandmother would make! She never actually quilted them, only tied them. I actually have a quilt top up in my studio.

I'm interested to see how it comes out for you. I haven't gotten the courage to tackel it. I just keep re-folding it and finding it a new home!

Good luck, and sorry I can't be of any help! (but yes, they ARE HEAVY!

Nini

I have a Boston Commons on the frame right now. This is from one of my best piecers and it is still giving me grief. The pattern is pretty, but somehow all those on-point squares don't like to be contained by the wide on grain border. The center bubbles a bit and then the same thing happens on the outer border of squares. Thank you Bonnie for your BFSSM! It has helped me tame those little monsters.

I can only imagine what a double knit top would do.

I recommend just doing a meander on this. I have done several polyester double knit tops. They have really thick seams and are stretchy, so it is very hard to put a pattern on them, a meander is the easiest way to quilt them beacuse you can avoid those bulky seam intersections.

Janet Mohler

Colorado Springs

Archived