Hartley Fence

Carla Riley

Hello Everyone! I'm putting this topic out there in light of some issues and questions that some folks have had about the Fence recently. I want to make sure we've got a place to communicate some of those types of things so that those of us who are associated with APQS and familiar with the Fence can answer and help out. The Hartley Fence is a tool that I see as invaluable to the longarm quilter and we want everyone to enjoy using it. I know I will be monitoring these questions and Sue Morris, our rep from Australia, will be monitoring and offering advice as well. Sue is quite experienced and accomplished with the Fence and will be a great help to all of us. Post away! We're waiting for your questions.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Carla and everyone

Its good to be able to access this message board again - I lost my password and it wouldn't accept me but its great to be back. Numbers have increased dramatically in 3 days - up by 20 people.

As Carla said,we are happy to answer questions and offer suggestions for using the Hartley Fence. Marilee suggested we could put up pictures of quilts where the fence was used - great idea. I don't know how to do that just yet but I know it can be done since Judy did it recently.

Looking forward to lots of questions, and suggestions for design ideas and please don't leave it to Carla or myself to give the ideas I'm sure there are others out there doing great things with their fences.

Best wishes

Sue

I've thought about getting the Hartley Fence and I know I'd enjoy it but just haven't made the decision to do it yet. I hope to make a decision before Christmas as to whether I'm going to get it.

You guys just keep talking about it and maybe I'll not be able to control myself and have to buy it.

Judy L.

Hi Judy and everyone

I hope you get your new fence soon but try to plan to buy it at a time when you can put aside a day or to to learn it. So many people think they can just get it out of the box and quilt fantastic intricate designs.

When I first got mine I sat in front of the TV at night and drew circles and part circles, baptist fans etc just to see what I liked the look of. Then draw up some pieced blocks to see how circles or part circles would look on them.

Just like with our quilting machines, we need to use our imagination. Sometimes we are so bogged down with customer quilts we forget to take time to educate ourselves. Most big businesses allow time off for staff to do training - we should be no different.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sue

Excellent advice from Sue!!! :D I always advice new customers to be sure to set aside time EVERY WEEK or every month for themselves. This time may be used to do your own piecing, your own quilting, practice new quilting techniques or practicing with new tools and equipment. If you actually block off time periodically on your calendar, you'll be more likely to take that time off for yourself. Build it into your schedule and make it a habit.

The Fence is a terrific tool to enhance your quilting. Like Jeff says, "Imagination is your only limitation." It's true. I'm amazed at the new ideas that people come up with when they're just "playing" with their Fences. And it is always nice to have a new option to offer customers. You know, everyone wants to be "first in line" to get the latest thing.

Call when you're ready to order your Fence and I'll be glad to help you!

I schedule quilts using a calendar and my goal is to quilt Monday thru Thursday. If I stay on target, then Friday is my day to piece my own quilts, quilt my own top or try/oractice new techniques. This motivates me to stay off the computer and telephone during the day and gives me something to look forward to on Friday.

Judy L.

I got my Hartley Fence slightly used in 1999 and did not receive notes that Sue (on the longarm list) said came with the fence. I up graded from an Ultimate I to a Millennium last December and the fence I had didn't fit. I was upset about this and was told to send it back for an upgrade. I really don't want to spend a lot of money to send it back as a friend of mine did. I never really got the hang of it with the Ultimate I (used it only a few times) and now it sits there unusable.

Hi all,

Maybe I'll learn how to use this form one of these days! I have had the HF from the beginning and took a class with Marilyn Badger in Iowa in June '01. It was well worth it and she gave us some tips for the Fence. It was a "duh" moment. I should have figured it out but guess I had to be shown. A more detailed notebook would be fantastic. Think Marilyn, Carla, and Sue would get to work on that one???:D

A video would be wonderful but I know, expensive! Maybe Nancy T. and Sally Terry want to do that one!!! I'll be the first to buy if you include all the ways to use it.

I have used the HF for circles on a quilt-turned out fantastic. Also for borders and that worked great too. Have used the stencils for a few things but need to get that PPP going so I know exactly what I'm doing before putting on customer quilt.

Hi Carol

Glad to know you are having success and experimenting with your HF. The idea of a workbook is a strong possibility but wont really be necessary if people get active on this message board and post questions and answers so lets all get busy sharing ideas.

Marilyn has seriously considered the making of a video but wants it to be of the very best quality. We found at QTQ that filming techniques being demonstrated on the fence was much more difficult than filming just quilting. It needs at least two cameras and an expert team of videographers to capture what is happening on the quilt at the same time as what is happening with the fence. This really means that the camera people must understand not only their craft but that of quilting as well.

The stencils are fun to use. Try experimenting by taking the smallest of each of the stencils and tracing inside it then taking another one and laying it on top of the first and tracing around that. It is surprising how many different designs can be made this way. I don't have my stencils here but I think its set 4 that has the square with the curved edges, if you put that on paper and trace around it then twist the template 90 degrees and trace inside it again you get a star. I gave the cookie cutters to my kids when I first got them and they set to tracing and creating new shapes for me to quilt.

Hope this has given you all an idea or two.

Best wishes Sue in Australia

Hi Marilyn and everyone

What a shame you have a HF and are not using it. But how lucky you are to have been able to save some money and get a second hand one.

The second-hand Hartley Fence you bought in 1999 was made even before the Millennium and new table was designed so its great that with a small and really quite inexpensive alteration it can work with the Millennium.

You don't have to send it away, my husband did the adjustment himself and I'm sure I could have too but why try when I have him (grin)!

Since your HF was made, Hartley has been looking at ways to improve his product and the brake is the best invention ever. Anyone who has the original brake (a long rod on the side of the fence) will love the new design which really speeds up your quilting. It costs $49.95. The kit to make the HF fit your table is $15 plus shipping.

Both APQS and Hartley Manufacturing are able to send you a copy of the instructions that came with the Fence free of charge ring them, get the upgrade and then keep in touch here to ask questions and share ideas.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

I called for Carla today but she wasn't in. I was about 90% sure I was ready to order. By the time I talk to her, I may have talked myself out of it. So, you guys keep posting about it and I'll spend the weekend arguing with myself about whether to do it or not!

Maybe we should vote!

Judy L.

Hi Judy,

I have found that I like the Fence much better for making circles than using the circle templets. I have all the circles, ovals, etc. and use them for other designs but if I'm going to use a circle, I use the fence.

I even use the fence for the circles when I put feathers on the inside and outside.

I'm glad I have mine and I have it installed on the table all of the time. If it's not in use, I have my bobbins on it, or other goodies that you need to keep handy. I don't keep the circle arm attached but it doesn't take much time to set it up.

Carol Wiles

Sue, I do have the new brake and it is a lot better than the old one. I can't believe I can get an upgrade to my fence to fit the Millennium for only $15.00. I didn't think anything in this business was that cheap! I may sound sarcastic but I sometimes feel that I have been nickel and dimed to death getting upgrades, gadgets and gizmos..........Somebody's making a lot of money and it's not ME!

I just finished a quilt using the fence to make ( Ithink it is called darts) in the sashing .It has a half circle on bottom of the sashing and a coresponding half circle on top forming ovals and darts.

Well it came out beautiful however it took soooooo long to complete. Does anyone have suggestions to improve the time it take maybe some time saving method for hopping from circle to circle.

I love my Hartley fence I did a Baptist fan after only having my Milleneium for about a month and it came out beautiful.

If any one have other suggestions for use of the fence I would appreciate it if you would share.

Love my fence

Jeanne

Hi Carol and everyone

I'm glad you were pleasantly surprised at the cost of the upgrade - when you send off for it , you could get a copy of the instructions sent too.

I posted a message to this list yesterday and it hasn't appeared - maybe I cancelled it rather than posting it. When I post a message, I'm often posting on say Friday when in fact you are all still having Thursday. I don't know how this message board decides how to date my messages!!!

\\

Sue in Australia

Hi everyone

I can't seem to see the post where someone asked for instructions for orange peel.

I went to bed last night armed with graph paper, coins and pencil ready to draw up orange peel when I realised that I didn't know whether the person asking the question wanted to know how to do orange peel in a sashing or as an overall design.

Could you let me know?

Thanks

Sue

Hi Sue.

I was the one who asked about the orange peel. i wanted to do it in the sashing. I have just tried a dart design in the sashing and it came out very nice, however it me a very long time to do it.

I just love using the fence, I would love to know other designs that I could use it for.

I guess I don't have a good imagination.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• 1 year later...

Hi, I just discovered this web site today and registered as a member. I'm wondering if I could get some help on using the HF. I've used it very successfully for circles and diagonal lines in borders. But, when customers request all over diagonal lines, I think there must be a better way to do it. Can someone give me some hints on lining the successive rows up correctly so they meet? I'll try to explain what I mean....

When I start at the top right corner, I stitch the diagonal line up from the border the width of the throat of the machine. Then, the next stitched line goes down to the border so I don't have to break the threads. That row goes fine. Then after I advance the quilt to the next row, I start from the end of the first stitched line and go up and then the next stitched line goes down. However, sometimes that next stitched line does not exactly meet the end of the stitched line from the first row. Does that make sense? Do I need to continue every stitched line from the previous row's stitched line or is there some trick to lining it up that I haven't figured out yet? I try using the ruler on the back of the machine, but that doesn't work well.

I appreciate any hints you all have. Thanks. Debbie

• 4 months later...

My Hartley Fence sits on the top of my shelf doing nothing. There are no directions that are helpful, the minimal flyer that came with it is nearly useless. Dawn's few minutes in her class was a bit helpful but not enough to accomplish much of anything. After frustrating days of trying it it's back on top of my shelf collecting dust. I bought corcle templates at MQS and decided it (the HF) wasn't worth my time. I'm certain it could be a useful tool IF there were any worthwhile instructions on how to use the dang thing. Jeri

Guest Linda S

I just bought one of these used. It arrived yesterday. I'm scheduled for a class on how to use it at Innovations. Since it's a class just on the use of the Hartley Fence and it's more than 10 minutes, hopefully, I'll learn how to use it. Looks like a very useful tool to me!

Linda

Archived