Hartley Fence

Carla Riley

Hey Jeri

I've been using the Hartley Fencefor three years now and love it - its easy and quick after a little practice.

What do you want to know ?

How to set it up correctly on the table?

How to do circles, overlapping circles, baptist fans, semi-circles?

Diagonal lines?

I'd be happy to help - just let me know where you need to start. You can email me privately if you wish.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

PS. Dust it off and you can start playing this weekend.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've finished my Dear Jane top and have been thinking about how to quilt it. I initially thought that I would be a set of concentric circles in those 4-1/2 inch pieced and appique blocks - ideally at 4, 3 and 2 inches. (I'm trying for something that does not detract from the piecing.) I just realized that the Harley circle maker only goes down to 3-1/4" - which leave too much open space. There appears to be room on the circle maker to insert additional holes (assuming you have the right drill tools). Anybody out there done that or know why the tool wasn't designed with the additional holes.

Kari Schell

Brooklyn Park, MN

Hi Jeri,

What have you tried to do with your fence? I did a Baptist Fan a couple weeks ago without a problem. You can see it in the Donation Quilts album of my webshots.

I agree that there needed to be directions with it, but it all made sense to me when I took a class from Marilyn Badger several years ago. It really was a duh moment.

If you are trying to position circles in the center of a block, find the center of the block and put your needle down. Now bring the fence over to line up under the bar which is attached to your machine. I have mine on the right side of the machine but it can be on either side. The post that is pointing down on the bar should sit right on the bolt that holds the swing arm. You have to adjust the position of that center point with the wing nut and slide the bottom bar on the fence to get the center bolt under the post. When everything is lined up, lock the fence in place. Raise the needle (this is important) and then move the machine to remove the bar off of the center post. Now place the post that hangs down from the bar in one of the holes. You can move the machine around now to see if the circle is the size that you need. If the preset holes do not make the size circle that you want, you can use the sliding hole to make a circle that is between the holes just by setting it between two holes and tightening it down. Have I lost you completely now????

Do you know how to attach the bar onto the machine? I use the fatter post for doing circles and use the thinner post for using the cookie cutter stencils. The wheel is attached to the bar to use with the diagonal bar.

Let me know if I have confused you more!!

Hi Jeri,

I forgot to add that I use the fence to make a feather wreath. I SID the blocks, and completely stablize the quilt, pinning inside the blocks as I go. Then when I have the quilt on 2 rollers, I go back and put all my circles in. Then I freehand all of my feathers. This has worked well for me.

If I have you completely confused, I'll try to remember to bring something to MO-KAN to try to help you.

BTW, when do you want the stencil plastic? Before we do the program? I can mail to you if you would like.

Sue,

Thanks for your kind offer to help. If you could explain to the list how to use, I think there will be a larger and appreciative audience. The answer to all the questions you asked is "yes". Here is my situation and learning level: I bought a used machine that came with the Hartley Fence. The parts were all packed together in the same bag. I don't even know how to install it to the table or what all the parts are for or where they go, let alone how to use it!

I know this would be a lengthy explanation, so would it make sense to break down the information into "mini lessons"?

Thanks again for your willingness and expertise!

Nancy

Hi Sue,

I'm very interested in making Baptist Fans with the Hartly Fence. I can make the nested Baptist fan shape, but it is not centered in the corner of the quilt, and I can't figure out how to move (position) to the next baptist fan. :(

Thanks in advance for your help.

Judy Castleman

Hi , Jeri and Nancy and everyone,

We are in the throws of moving house and business this week and this is why I have only just responded to your messages. I will try to write a little about the fence each night over the next few nights.

First lay the HF on top of the quilting table with the handle for the brake at the back of the table. The front two black wheels of the HF are adjustable on slotted metal strips. Put the back wheels along the rails at the back of the table and gently push the fence forward. Push the two black wheels on the front of the fence into the table rails at eh front and tighten the bolts so that they are both the same tightness and allow the HF to move freely but without the fence being able to twist .

Because some people have a brand new fence and others have a ?sed"model we need to identify the differences.

The main difference is that on the original HFs the brake was a "wind in/wind out' rod on the right hand side of the HF. On newer models the brake is in the centre of the HF and is a red handle that lifts up to release and down to push the black stopper against the aluminium sides of the quilting machine table. If pushing the handle down does not stop the HF from sliding sideways along the table you need to adjust the nut in front of the rubber stopper so that it stops the fence from moving.

The new red brake can be fitted to older HFs for around $80 (I think). What I have described above is for the alloy tables.l The oak tables are a little different.

It is important to remember that when using the HF for circles or diagonals that the Fence should not move at all and that when guiding the quilting machine you need to use light even pressure. If you push too hard when doing circles you may get ovals!

When I do a circle I hold the handle of the quilting machine in the palm of my left hand with my thumb pointing up and my fingers together pointing right. I do not grip the handle by curling my thumb and fingers around the handle. I usually start to quilt a circle at the 3 or 4 o clock position and work anti-clockwise. I am right handed. This is most comfortable for me. As I am quilting in a circular motion i consciously think of the shape of a circle and my wrist moves freely in a circular motion.

It is very important that the circle device with all the holes is secured firmly to the HF base with the wing nut supplied and this should be 3/4 to halfway along the slider base which is the slotted piece. The holes face the ceiling.

If you have a stencil adapter you will have two pins with your fence either of which could be tigthened into the idler arm (the long strip of aluminium with two holes at one end and one at the other. Only use the fatter pin in the circle device.

When you fit the idler arm to the quilting machine make sure that you tighten it well so that it will not slip sideways.

When you put the pin into the end of the idler arm it is the fatter pin not the thin one. The thin one is for use with the stencils only.

Put the pin into the hole at the end of the idler arm from underneath and tighten down with the wingnut supplied.

So to summarise, use a light touch when guiding the quilting machine but make sure that everything to do with the fence is tight and will not slip.

The bolt on top of the circle device (with all the holes represents the centre of the circle you are about to quilt.

To quilt a circle in a specific place, say the centre of a block, first find the centre of the block and lower your needle into the fabric there.

Next slide the HF towards the quilting machine until the bolt in the idler arm can rest on top of the bolt in the centre of the hole device - secure the brake.

Next raise the needle.

Then decide what size circle you want to quilt and lift the pin off the bolt and place into the corresponding hole.

Start the qm and gently, firmly and smoothly guide the qm in a circular motion. You should have a nice circle.

More tomorrow. If you have any questions so far please let me know.

I do hope this makes sense.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Carol, I'll try to call you later today, we are leaving shortly and not sure how long we will be gone--medical stuff for my DH.

Yes, I would like to get a roll of DBK from you. I have to go to Pleasant Hill Wed. afternoon and to Lone Jack sometime this week, thought I could run out to your place as well if it works for you.

I'm printing the HF suggestions to work on. I've spent days and days messing with it and gave up on it for awhile. Probably just me.

Hi Sue, Moving such fun!!

Thanks for your input and help. I've just printed them off and will do more playing with the fence soon. A busy week non-quilting things and customer quilts to get done so it will be a week or so before I have a free machine to play.

I've spent many days trying to get this fence to work for me with little success. Hopefully with coaching from all of you I will learn how to use it. Thanks jeri

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I have not had my machine long - no money coming in yet - so classes are an additonal expense that I cannot do right now. Thank you so much for your explination on how to use the Hartly Fence. I have printed off the information and plan to put it in a very safe place for further use.

Have a great day,

Mary Beth

This is a great thread! I have the Hartley Fence and know how to set up and use it for circles. I never thought about SID for each block and then going back to do the circles for wreaths before. I was just doing as I roll and it doesn't always work well and doing the Baptist Fan has me baffled. Anxiously waiting for a lesson. Thanks.

Mary and BigGirl

Well I have dusted off my HF and I am ready to play.

I have read all the great post here and have learned alot.

But I really need more detailed instructions on making the babtist fan. circles ect...

(I am short and my machine is big

ult 1, so it is hard to see quilt top on the front of machine)

So what side of machine would you us?

Where to start?

Any info would help.

My back ground

I have been machine quilting ( off and on due to to life in general) for about 10 years. ( This is the second quilting machine I have owned )And I have never used the hartley fence. Most of the the lady's I quilt for

would rather have the line patterns (they don't want to pay for custom quilting)

Right now I have some time on my hands and would love to learn how to use the HF for myself.

Very much in need of a machine quilting make over.

Thank you

Hi everyone

We have moved into our new house (last Friday) but I haven't had a chance to get to the computer until today (Tuesday night). Moving went quite smoothly with lots - and LOTS of boxes still to unpack and my machine in pieces. I thought I'd be able to get started back with quilting stuff this afternoon but my daughter had a smash in the car this morning and it is a write off so that took most of the day to sort out - she is OK (as is the other driver) - both cars are a write-off - but I am sure will need a lot of comfort tomorrow when it all sinks in. My grand-daughter was in the car and thankfully she was not hurt.

Tomorrow I'll print off the messages posted to the forum about the HF and answer as many questions as I can in mini-lessons.

I am looking forward to getting my machine back up in its new home and life getting back to normal.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Kathy:

I am certainly happy to help you sell yours if you truly don't want to use it. I've helped a few people sell some other items in the past and I don't mind helping again. I just keep mentioning it to customers when they call in for any reason and eventually we find somebody who would need the item you are selling. I'll then put them in touch with you. Can you tell me an approximate age for your Fence? How much do you want to get out of it? Those are the kinds of things I need to know in order to quote it to some people for youl. Also, who will pay for the shiping? Will it be handled by the buyer or the seller? Details details....

Also: anyone who is interested in a copy of the written instructions for the Fence can email me their name and address info and I can send you a copy in the mail.

Even with all of the great input I'm struggling with my HF. I'm such a visual person that I think I need pictures or a video. Is there an instruction book (with pictures) or a video that specifically shows how to set up and use this tool? Or is there anyone in Northern California (I'm near Sacramento) that could give me some personal instruction?

I am very excited about the possibilities but feeling inept at the moment. How about a book called HF for Dummies? I'd stand in line for that one. In the meantime, I can only dream of circles and Baptist Fans . . .

Thank you for your input.

Carla,

We purchased the Millennium in 2001 (From YOU) and purchased the Hartley Fence at the same time, including the "cookie cutter" shapes. I can honestly say it has not been used even one full day. Terry my partner who does the quilting is a natural free-hander and found she really didn't like/need the HF. We didn't do any research before purchase, just decided it was another tool we probably "needed" when we got Millie, an expensive error on our part.

As far as price, I believe we'll start at $350 including everything and we will ship continental US.

Thanks.

Kathy

QUILT, Ink

Kathy,

I just bought a Millie and I bought the Hartley Fence. I would be interested in buying your stencils and adapter if it will work with my new machine. I don't need the complete package, but maybe you don't want to break up the set.

Mo

Hi everyone

Here is how I do Baptist Fans.

First I load my backing to No 1 and No3 rollers and then lay my batting under roller No 2 and drag the batting up to the No 1 roller.

Make sure it is nice and flat.

I always fully float my tops so never use the No 2 roller - I find I can line up my quilts vertically and horizontally better this way and ease in much of the fullness that comes with "less than perfect piecing"

I take my top and bring it under the No 2 roller and drag it up to 1"from the pinned edge of the backing on No 1 roller.

I then straighten it out as well as my eye will allow me, and with the centre of the top in the centre of the backing.

I then, (only when doing Baptist Fans) quilt a horizontal line using my channel lock across the batting and backing. I use this to line up my first row of fans.

Next I use one of the horizontal piecing lines - usually the one that is the edge of the border meeting the sashing or inner part of the top, and with my machine in the centre (horizontal) of the top, bring my machine towards me so that the front of the hopping foot is on the piecing line. (You might need to re-read this - there is probably a more succinct way to say that!)

Now set your horizontal channel locks and place a pin vertically on the outer edge of the border to keep the top from moving.

Then find the outer left and right edges of your top. How?

If your top is 48" wide you need to mark your batting or, I mark with painters tape on my No 2 roller, 24" either side of centre.

Now smooth the top out to that mark and place a pin on the borders top edges to keep it in place.

Next move the machine horizontally with the channel lock on - along the border/sashing line and when the piecing line does not sit at the edge of the hopping foot, gently move the fabric up or down and pin in place (you might do this every 6-10"depending on the piecing. Do this to the left and right of centre. It is now centred horizontally.

Do this to the left and right of centre and you may need to put some pins horizontally in at the edge of the borders to ease in fullness.

Next, you might need to move the top vertically if some blocks are smaller or larger than others or the piecing is distorted in some way. Again use the edge of your hopping foot and set your vertical channel locks and mark vertical piecing lines onto your no 2 roller with painters tape where you think they should be.

OK - now the Baptist Fans!!!!

Remembering that as you quilt a top it will shrink up and will not be as long as it was when you started. Usually I find on most ?verage"spaced quilting I lose 1 to 1 1/2"on a queensize, this means that you probably won't be able to centre 100% accurately vertically in all cases . The spacing of the fans and the thickness of the batting are considerations.

Tomorrow (remind me if I forget) I'll draft up instructions for centreing the baptist fans

for those who would like things centred as close as possible. But for now I'll just give instructions for covering a top quickly with fans.

Decide the spacing of the quilted lines.

When I do fans over cotton batting which will shrink, I usually do the spacing of the lines, 1"apart.

Other types of batting I would often do 1 1/2"spacing.

Flannel quilts I usually space 2" - these come up really quickly and drape well.

Decide the size of the largest arc - Always quilt the largest arc first. A 10"circle would provide a 5" arc.

Stand at the back of the machine, so that the hopping foot is on the left side edge of the top. If the largest arc you require is 5" then measure up 5" from the basting line we made when we loaded the batting and backing - this is your reference for the first row of fans. It is the 3 o clock position or base for the first row.

Bring the HF across to the machine with the circle arm (one with the holes) pointing to 12 o clock. You want to place the pin into the 5" (10"circle) hole. You may have to loosen the wing-nut that holds the circle arm in place and slide it up or down and then tighten the nut up again. Remember to secure the HF brake. Now if you quilt you will have a nice arc - 5" across. You might like to mark this hole so you don't forget which hole you start with.

If you started quilting this off the edge and finished off the edge you probably wouldn't have to secure your threads - unless they were slippery rayons.

Next remove the pin and select another hole to produce a smaller arc and quilt as many as you need within the largest arc.

There are more ways to do the next step but this is how I do it.

Release the HF brake

Remove the pin from the smallest hole and place in the largest

Move the quilting machine to the right and insert the needle into the base of the first quilted arc and position the circle arm at the 3 o clock position.

Secure the fence.

Stitch from off the edge of the top until you meet with the first stitched arc. The circle arm will be pointing to roughly 10 o clock.

Either secure threads by stitching back and forward, or

Remove the pin from the arm and carefully stitching down the first arm to a point where you think you will be starting the second arc of the 2nd set.

Slide the circle arm to the right and place the HF pin into the 2nd size hole and quilt down to the edge of the fabric and secure or run off stitches.

Continue to fill this fan and repeat across the top.

I have to take a break here. I'll come back with the 2nd row later today.

Good luck, and I hope this is clear but if not please ask questions

Sue in Australia

Hi Judy

I posted revised instructions for Baptist Fans (at least I thought I did) and they seem to have got lost so here are the instructions for row 2. Maybe I posted them to another section of this list.

For the 2nd and further rows:

Roll the quilt on maybe 5 ".

Move the machine to the left edge of the top.

Place the pin in the circle arm.The needle should be in line with the edge of the top.

when the circle arm is in the 12 o clock position.

Secure the fence.

Without stitching, move the machine to the right so that the circle arm is in the 3 o clock position.

In this position the needle should stop in the top of the large arc of the first row stitched.

If it is above or below, either:

Loosen the wing-nut on the circle arm and slide it up or down or,

Roll on/or back the quilt.

Start making your arcs as before.

Sue in Australia

Archived