Pricing Ideas

JudyL

Pricing can be hard to figure and very intimidating! It doesn't have to be and it's much easier after you've been in business for a while to look at it differently and see that it isn't hard. I still almost (notice I said ALMOST) apologize when I hand clients a bill for $500 or $600 for quilting.

As with most any business, I think you probably can't expect to show a profit for a few years but I surely think it's easier with longarming than with most other businesses.

Some charge hourly, some by the square inch or foot or yard. I've heard that some charge per bobbin. I charge by the square inch and my prices are on my web page for anyone to see who is interested.

When you first start out, it will maybe take you longer than it takes someone who's been quilting many years, so when you figure your hourly rate based on the going per square inch rate, you may think you're never going to get ahead. But, remember . . things will speed up for you.

In my opinion, you don't want to start out a lot less than the going rate. You can check around and most everyone has their prices on their web page so it should be fairly easy to see what's being charged by quilters in your area. Don't feel that you may not be as good as others and you'll charge less because clients may think "she must be charging less because she isn't as good".

There's so much wiggle room in the categories. What I may think is custom and I might charge .035/square inch for, someone else may consider it heirloom and charge .045 for the same exact type quilting.

There's really no use standing at the machine quilting all day if at the end of the day, you've cleared NOTHING! So, keep up with your expenses and be fair to yourself.

My recent learning experience - first I agreed to do a small crib quilt sight unseen for the usual one cent per sq inch in a meander. Never again will I accept and quote a price without seeing the quilt! It was delivered to the guild meeting by a third party and I got it home and put it on the machine as it was a 'rush' job. I have quilted numerous small tops by this elderly lady before but this one was the proverbial 'quilt from h***'. I spent about ten hours on it - resewing her blocks in lots of places, many were polyester and stretch or frayed until they came apart, the borders were a nightmare and couldn't quilt out the mess so took them off, frogged all that had been done, took off the borders and reset them. Plus the backing was ten inches too short. Mind you this was only because I had said I would have it finished in a certain time and she was unavailable to talk to. Anyhow I wound up spending all that time and frustration for about $2 or less an hour. I have now changed my pricing to minimum of $35.00, repairs are $10 an hour, etc. And NEVER again will I accept a quilt unseen. LOL, she sent the needed ten inches of backing plus another quilt by a third party and I immediately measured, inspected, etc. and then called her and told her everything that it needed to be quilted, quoted her prices or offered to send it back. She still wants me to do it. I can't get it across to her to not cut the backing to match the top, so will also sell her backing fabric for this one. Takes me awhile to learn but I am learning :-) I guess the post (can't remember who or where) about 'IT IS NOT UP TO US QUILTERS TO SUBSIDIZE SOMEONE ELSES' HOBBY' has finally sunk in.

Mary & Big Girl

• 5 months later...

I charge by the square yard but don't have "set" prices. I started out that way but it became easier to establish a price after knowing exactly what I'd be doing. This would be difficult if you have a lot of long-distance customers. Most of mine bring their quilts to me in person. I rarely give them a price at the first appt. When the date nears to quilt their quilt, I pull it out and come up with a couple of ideas in at least two price ranges. I then contact them and let them decide. Now that I have been quilting a while, I can estimate how long it will take and price accordingly. I no longer have to agonize over what differentiates custom, heirloom, separate borders, etc. The customer doesn't have to question it either.

Kay

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

:cool:Have a question about binding on a quilt? I bound this quilt that I did not machine quilt. The lady did furnish the material for the binding, but then I squared the quilt up after it had not properly been stretch right. Then I bound the quilt and did about 4 hours of hand quilting to sew it to the back. The Question I have is charging 15 cents per inch is that too much out of range for a queen size quilt?

Archived