Newbie needs ruler recommendations

The Key is a multi-purpose tool. The question is how to use the 1/4" tabs on each of the 4 ends. Each tab is in a different direction so chances are there is one that will work so you don't have to roll your quilt away from the leader bars. Think of those 1/4" tabs as spacers to give a measurement for where your needle is going to travel and stop. It is not what those tabs "do" . . . it is the 1/4" spacing that it measures so you can land at an intersection or particular place in your pattern. For example, if you want to use an oval elipse in a sashing and land in a corner, place one of the Key tabs at the corner so the 1/4" etch line is on the seam line and the 1/4" acrylic tab is positioned into the block where you want your needle to land. Snug your oval next to the tab and you are done with your Key to measure. Stitch the line along your positioned oval and you will get into the corner where you wanted to be. It works in placing a line in any location -- block center, sashing edge, corners, etc.

There is a instruction sheet with pictures at this link:

http://store.offtheedgequilting.com/keyin.html

The Key also has a straight edge, 3.5" interior circle arc, a short wave and a 1/4" continuous curve for a 4" patch.

I thought I didn't have any replies to my question, and so I deleted my original question from here and started a new topic.

Thank you for your reply. However, as a newbie never having seen it demonstrated, and referring to thread from Mary Beth, a more experienced quilter (and poster!) than I, I would suggest more complete / better-written instructions.

As a "newbie" and reading instructions for the first time, I'd appreciate your perspective on how to improve the directions. I'm currently in Nashville at the AQS show and will be home on Monday. If you would send me a U2U or e-mail me at OffTheEdgeQuilting@yahoo.com with your phone number I'd like to talk to you about how to make it better.

Originally posted by AnnHenry

I would appreciate recommendations for my first ruler. I can't afford anything right this minute, but I need to get at least one. So, if the quilt police came and took away all of your rulers except one, which one would you keep?

Thanks!

Ann, here's more thoughts for you: I know as a newbie you are trying to get everyone's input on "the perfect ruler for a newbie" and all I can tell you is, if you ask 100 people their advice, you will get 100 different responses. So, there's no perfect answer (and no perfect ruler) to satisfy your specific question. I guess what I am trying to say is, rulers are not the easiest things to use; especially just learning and starting out. It's a skill that is developed over time. For newbies, I prefer to have two or three rulers. There are a gazillion rulers out there. They all basically do the same thing. Regardless if it's an itty bitty, a little girl, or a dainty ditcher, or whaterver brand you want. I suggest as a starter kit, get a small one to fit in your palm, a little larger one that is about 6-8 inches long, and maybe a round one or a square one that isn't too big so you can play with them and get the feel of it. Start out with little ones, get the feel for it. Then get more rulers as you build up your ruler technique.

Shana, once again I am impressed by your kindness and good advice, I have been lookin at all the gadgets, rulers & gizmos too.

It is not an easy decision, I like your suggestions about the three rulers to begin with and will start my search again.

I am also impressed by the quick response on the hard to read instructions, makes me want to take another look.

thanks

Judy

Archived