Newbie needs ruler recommendations

My favoite is the SID ruler from Off The Edge. It is $24, I have included the link below. At MQS I purchased the "Little Girl" from The Gadget Girls. Maybe I just can't get use to that one, but I am not crazy about it. I try to use it, and end up putting it aside and grabbing the Off the Edge ruler. It just fits my hand better.

http://store.offtheedgequilting.com/circle95.html

Don't do what I did and get a ruler but not have a baseplate on the machine. Doesn't work very well.

I got two to start with - The Itty Bitty and The Key. Both from Off the Edge. I recommend The Key because it's small, easy to handle and you can practice many different things with the one ruler. Sid, curves, etc.

AnnHenry,

What are you looking for in a ruler? Do you want SID? Do you want a ruler that, like Donna said, is good for spines? Do you want something with a curved side and a straight side so you can do 2 or 3 differnt things? There are some very, very good suggestions here. I'm not sure how many other rulers there are out there. Have you seen something specific that you have questions about? If yes, let us know and maybe someone has used it or knows something about it, and can help you.

I agree - I MUST have a ruler from Off the Edge. (1/4" in Tab and lines)

The Itty Bitty and the Stitch-In-The-Ditch.

Many years ago, I went to a glass and mirror place and asked them to make me an acrylic template for some pattern. I think it was a 3 x 4 rectangle or something close to that. well, I didn't end up liking it for cutting the pattern, but I used it as a straight-edge for SID. This was before I used the Off the Edge rulers. The 1/4" tabs really make a difference.

Hi

I have a Cross Hatch Guide that does not require any marking of the quilt, very easy to use and has a large selection of curves, clamshell and waves available (5/8" thick). My web site is www.westalee.com.au

Quilters Rule is producing the Guide but not the accessories at this stage www.quiltersrule.com

Leonie West

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Key and have seen it demoed a couple of times...I still can't figure out the proper way to use it, so I just use it for going around applique. Since it has 4 different things going on, one on each side, that is about the only use I have found for it. You are suppose to be able to use it to line up your other rulers....seems like a waste of time to me. Maybe if I had the maker here in my studio so she could show me each time I pick it up what I am suppose to do with it, it would help :)

Archived