training DVD's

Just received Myrna Ficken's "Beginning Long Arm Quilting, Just Do It, and Fowlproof Feathers" in the mail. While I have not had time to watch them all, I started with the Beginning Long Arm Quilting. Great training DVD. Myrna makes it look verry simple, and deals with many issues that a newbie would never think to be concerned about.

Iv'e had my LA since April, and have managed to complete a few pieces. Some good, some not so good. Tina Collins was the best when she came to set everything up. I learned alot from her. My first training classes didn't go well, and I didn't get much out of it, so I decided I would have to teach myself how to do this, along with all the tricks to make it easy. Myrna's DVD was money well spent for me. I learned about things that I didn't even know to look for. I am feeling much more confident on my machine now, and will be more than willing to just try different things. After all there are no quilt police, are there? I can't wait to watch the other DVD's. I am sure I will get just as much out of them.

So for anyone out there that is struggling with their LA, and can't get to classes, like me, this is excellent value for your money. Thanks Myrna for making it look so easy, and giving me the confidence and knowledge to go to the next step with my quilting.

Kerry, what a wonderful note you wrote above. :) I am glad you are starting to get over the "biggest hurdle" and just know that the rest of them are "little hurdles" that you surely can hop over if you keep trying. You've got it! :)

Remember, that teachers can show you lots in person. They can SHOW you how to do the technique, but you have to fly solo, make mistakes, try try try all on your own and PPP all by yourself for it to really sink in.

Now, continue to show us your work and PPP. I have Myrna's beginning DVD and her Hartley DVD and I have other teachers DVDs and they all have something unique and different; no repeats in any of them. You can learn from all of them. I have Pajama Quilter, Nichole Webb, Karen McTavish, Linda Taylor, Pam Clarke.

Aren't we lucky to have these teachers readily available on DVD? They're all good!

I have to also add that I recently received another TERRIFIC DVD that just came out: Machine Quilting for Beginners by Kim Brunner. This DVD is jam packed with great ideas, tips, tricks. And anyone that knows Kimmy Brunner or reads her articles in UP magazine knows she is so FUNNY! I love her sense of humor. I have met her at MQS and we've emailed back and forth a few times. She is adorable; so down to earth, so genuine and so generous with helping you through and answers questions.

Here's the link to her DVD if you are interested in that one, too. Brand new... It just came out!

https://www.canadianlongarmsupplies.com/index.php?crn=352&rn=1742&action=show_detail

Here's a link to Kim Brunner's webshots album. Be sure to have a towel nearby to catch the drool as you view these photos.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Kimmyquilt

Kerry,

Shana is absolutely right - Kim's DVD is great - I am also a newbie and learned a lot from this DVD. Following is and excerpt from another forum and gives Kim's email address and price of the DVD. Kim sends it out right away.

We are reviewing Kimmy's new DVD, Machine Quilting for Beginners, in the Sept issue of Unlimited Possibilities. I did not write the review, but I did view the DVD and want you all to know what a FABULOUS DVD this is! Every part of it is useful, helpful information, and just plain beautiful quilting and quilts. This is Kimmy's Beginner class in a nutshell, and you can rewind until you get it right! BTW - she won't be teaching this particular class anymore, so this is your chance to have this very popular class in your own studio! From how to set up your studio, to marking quilts, stencil use and even tips on running a home business, the two hours just fly by. Experienced quilters will learn new tricks, and beginners will find everything they need in one DVD. BUY IT NOW! It's $29.95, plus shipping. I would pay twice that for all the info she packed in. Having said that, here's my disclaimer. Kimmy does occasionally write for UPM. But these accolades are the real deal. Don't miss this one.

To order, contact Kimmy at kimmyquilt@aol.com. Her website www.kimmyquilt.com will be up and running in a few weeks.

Meg:cool:

Shana & Meg

Thanks for the heads up! I know there are lots of training how to DVD's out there, but how do you find out about them unless someone tells you about them. I am definitely going to check out all your reccomendations. I love this forum. Ask and you shall know. You guys are great!

Shana, a friend of mine took a trip to Alaska, and ended up in your town, North Pole. She said she was looking for Santa Claus, but he must have been away on his annual vacation.LOL I think she got lost and didn't want to let on!!!!!

Happy quilting everyone!

Archived