Dawn Saves the Day

Just want to say 'Thank You' to our own wonderful Dawn C.

Had been having thread problems - a few stitches flat on the back or sometimes a few loops on the top. Very sporadic! In the end was not a tension problem and I really did not think it was.

Gave me 2 hints that worked wonders:

1. a piece of batting in the first guide above the cone of thread to create a bit of drag on the thread - the batting lays on top of the thread - the thread does not travel through the batting.

2. Instead of wrapping the thread around the 3 holes in the 2nd holey guide, she had me go up in the first hole, down in the second and up again in the 3rd hole - no wrapping where you would be coming up into each hole.

The combination of these two hints has allowed the thread to travel much smoother and no longer getting the occasional crazy stitches. Has happened with more than one thread, but mostly King Tut (cotton). What a "Wiz Kid" she is!!

Just wanted to pass this along to those that haven't heard these hints before - lots of us newbies. I am very grateful to Dawn!;):D

Thanks Meg and Dawn.. I've not heard about in and out instead of looping in the guides.. worth making note of.. the wad of batt at the start, I'd heard of & often use it myself, though not always. Depends on thread and humidity levels.

RitaR

Meg,

I'm glad we were able to get rid of your loopies!

FYI for other newer quilters, the three-hole thread guide just above the tension disks does provide some thread pre-tension, but that's not really its purpose. Its real job is to "untwist" the thread before it passes through the tension disks, since the thread "spirals" off the spool on the back of the machine.

With some threads (depending on how they are wound on the spool) that wrapping motion puts more twist on the thread, causing it to snap out of the tension disks every once in a while as the thread exits the spool.

If you feed the thread in this manner, you'll also have to adjust the top tension.

You would also use this threading path ("weaving" the thread through the 3-hole guide as opposed to "wrapping") with flat metallic threads like Superior's Glitter or Sulky's Holoshimmer or Sliver.

Happy Quilting!

I have a big thanks to Dawn also. Dawn patiently talked me through timing my machine. As we worked through the sequence, (it helped for me to remember when I picked up the phone to speak into the speaker part.) Even though in the end I decided to send it to Iowa to have a good goin over. I really love our Dawn, she did not even hesitate when all the mistakes were made on my end.

A great big thanks, my machine is in Iowa now. I am anxious for it's return.

Ginny

Archived