Bobbin Forzen

I was changing a needle and the new needle broke, the machine made an awful noise and turned itself off. I've been unable to turn the machine back on and I've tried to find the piece of the broken needle in my bobbin. So far, unsuccessfully. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix? Can I take the bobbin apart or do I need to get a repair man? Or, do I just need to box it up and ship it back to APQS?

Probably the broken piece of the needle is hung up in the hook assembly. You then blew the fuse. You will have to free the machine up before replacing the fuse.

Sometimes you can see the broken piece and get it out with a hemostat or needle nose pliers. If you are unable to remove the broken piece you will have to remove the finger (at this point you should be able to turn the machine over with the wheel and look for the broken needle) and the hook assembly and take the hook assembly apart. (the little screws hold it together). The machine will need to be retimed and the finger adjusted (1/3 way into the slot after timing). You will then need to replace the fuse. The fuse in in a little drawer below your power cord (it has a picture of a fuse on it). You can pry the drawer out with a screwdriver. This drawer holds an extra fuse in a little push out drawer in the fuse holder (one edge of this drawer has a bevel on it and it will only go in one way. You may want to talk to Connie on Monday and she will walk you through the steps.

Good luck, but don't worry you are not the first person this has happened to. I have fixed several machines with this issue.

Always remember to check that the needle is all the way up in the needle bar and the screw is tight. (when the needle is not in the correct position it throws the machine out of time and the hook may break the needle.

Hi,

Did you get your machine up and going? If part of the needle is stuck in the hook, you can grab the hand-wheel from the front and rotate it counter clockwise and that will normally back the needle out... You may need someone strong to jerk the wheel back! Sometimes it is easier than taking it all apart!

Hope you are already fixed up, but let us know if you are not!

Good Luck!

Archived