older ultimate 1 for a newbie?

Someone posted an 11 yr old Ultimate 1 on the board today. Its only an hour away from me and although I have eating sleeping researching machines lately, I don't know much about the Ultimates or older machines. Would this be good for a beginner? I have pieced for 10 yrs and am a very experienced seamstress, but never had a LA. I really want an APQS but my budget is really limited with being a stay at home mom and 5 fairly young kids. I'm hoping to quilt for others and make some extra money, I sew now for other people, everything from alterations to drapes. Quilting is my passion! Any advice is appreciated.

Crystal

My dad swears up and down that the Ultimate I is the best machine ever made as far as machine quality and durability...so you are looking at a great machine. The only thing that you will have to get used to is not having a regulated stitch. That is accomplished with teaching yourself to quilt at a steady speed...which people with stitch regulators should do anyway (it results in a better quality stitch). You will also have to plan your starts and stops a little earlier. Overall, it is a great machine for a beginner or experienced quilter. Once I am ready to put in another machine, I will be looking at snagging one of those used Ult I's up.

Hi Crystal, I too am a very experienced seamstress, and the quilting bug bit me quite a few years back, and it is my passion as well! Having quilted so many quilts on my DSM, I started to investigate LA machines. I really didn't want to spend big $ cuz I don't plan on quilting for business, only a hobby. After doing much research, and asking alot of questions from the great people on this thread, I bought a used Ult. l from a gal close to home, just picked it up the other day! I can't wait to get it up and running! (need to make room!) I got alot of good feedback on this machine, and checked out all the webshots of the beautiful quilts others have made on a Ult. l! If you did ever want to start a business, you can always upgrade someday to a newer machine after the $ starts coming in... but if you notice, there are individuals on here that have never upgraded, are still using the Ult. machines and are pounding out award winning quilts! Keep us all posted on what you decide to do! :)

I have an Ultimate II only because I could not afford the ULt I. I love my machine and

it only took a couple of months to get used to it. With all the new tools and the gals on this forum, that machine is all you will need. APQS people are so helpful even if you did not buy your machine new. I think you will love it.

Ginny Snowden

I've had my ULT II for almost 11 years....and would have gotten a ULT I, but at that time couldn't afford one....either machine would be a great beginning machine.... Call them and ask the questions you need answered....Margie and Mr. Margie are great people and I'm sure that the machine is in GREAT condition and just ready to walk into your house.

Archived