Power Source For Millie

Jeanne4378

Last October I was able to purchase a used Millie, the (Lovely) Beast, Bless It's Heart, and at the time I had the power cord plugged into a surge protector that was then plugged into the wall.

Well, now I am ready to start using the space under the table for storage, and I am really tired of lostening to the surge protector Scraaaping on the tile floor when I quilt.

Mounting it on the ceiling is not an option since there is a fan up there and in the way. And I really need my ceiling dfan here in sunny Florida ( not to mention the HOT FLASHES:()

I have seen a set up that has a frame that mounts on the ends of the table and is about 6 feet above the floor with the cord plugged into some gizmo. Does the gizmo move up and down the track?

Does anyone have that setup? how do you like it? is there anything else out there?

Thanks,

Newbie Jeanne in JAX FL

Originally posted by Jeanne4378

Last October I was able to purchase a used Millie, the (Lovely) Beast, Bless It's Heart, and at the time I had the power cord plugged into a surge protector that was then plugged into the wall.

Well, now I am ready to start using the space under the table for storage, and I am really tired of lostening to the surge protector Scraaaping on the tile floor when I quilt.

Mounting it on the ceiling is not an option since there is a fan up there and in the way. And I really need my ceiling dfan here in sunny Florida ( not to mention the HOT FLASHES:()

I have seen a set up that has a frame that mounts on the ends of the table and is about 6 feet above the floor with the cord plugged into some gizmo. Does the gizmo move up and down the track?

Does anyone have that setup? how do you like it? is there anything else out there?

Thanks,

Newbie Jeanne in JAX FL

Hi Jeanne2.. I've not seen anything except the strip light type of system. If you have a fan that won't work.

Since I do 95 % of my quilting from the front, we put an eye hook up near the ceiling.. a large but not huge one, and put a bungie cord and hookedthe cord from the machine, to the eyehook, down to the serge protector, which is plugged into the power source. Himself made a "thing" that holds the cord on the back end of the machine, so it doesn't fall and get in the way of the wheels or catch on anything.

As for a serge protector that is in an extension cord, or light enough in weight to be easily drug across the floor, I'm wondering if it is strong enough to protect your machine. My serge protector is about 5" WIDE, 12" HIGH AND maybe 15" long..

Check the rating, and the higher the rating of protection the better off you are. Even as big as mine is, and as much as we paid, it still won't protect against the strongest serges.. That's the kind that fries microwaves.. warps hard drives, kills stoves, fridges, computers, etc.. Nope I don't have anything that big on the computers.. by the same token, they didn't cost nearly as much as the Viking and the Lenni.

Hope you get the info you need..

RitaR

THe surge protector cord is unplugged from the wall outlet whenever I m not using The Beast, Bless Her Heart...Don't want to take any chances with my baby!

Do you have a picture that you could post of your setup? I am such a visual person and no one here but me the cats and the dog..and none of them will pick up a screwdriver, hammer or drill:P

Jeanne,

Regarding your statement about the surge protector moving: My electrical receptacle is located on the side of my machine table, so it is a long way to reach when I'm quilting the middle and opposite end of the table.

So I got a heavy duty (orange) extension cord and plugged that into my surge protector, therefore the protector doesn't move around.

It works for me.

Archived