popping sound

HELP !! 2 issues:

1. Some days - not all - when my machine is in SR mode and it is just sitting there waiting for me - it will make a pop/jump sound and take a stitch. I have to be careful to note this because it can cause thread problems in the bobbin case area. When this happens, I have to take time to double ck where top and bottom threads are and be sure they are both free before continuing.

2. While in SR, will be sewing along and again this pop/jump noise. All seemed fine from the top of the quilt. But when I advanced the quilt, I realized that each time this happened - major birds next on the back and the tension would be off for a few inches - will be taking 1 full panto pass out.

This is very weird. I had had my machine on about 4 1/2 hours when this started.

Any input would be appreciated. I have cleaned, changed needles, etc. Don't know what to look at next.

Hi Meg,

Call Amy at APQS in the morning, 1-800-426-7233, may be an internal issue if the machine is taking a stitch by itself. It shouldn't take stitches on its own if it isn't being moved. Are you maybe getting power surges? Do you have an UPS (uninterruptable power supply) connected to your machine? This is a battery back up, not just a surge suppressor bar. There was a thread on this chat a few months ago about the UPS.

Hi Nadia - thanks.

I couldn't sleep so got up to frog. Anyway, added scenario. Took upper thread and bobbin out - wanted to use the light on the machine for frogging and didn't want to risk problems. Anyway, no SR and obviously no stitching. In the 1 1/2 hours of frogging, the machine jumped twice from the up to down position. No warning - just did it. I may have to get the UPS back up. At present am only using a surge protector and I think your idea is good. Will look for the thread and call Amy.

Again, thanks.

Penny does that now and then, but with 10-12 stitches, and makes NO diff if it's in SR or non SR. Not power serge as we have a big serge protector, and no lights unprotected, nor the TV flicker of blink. Scared the bebumps out of me, himself I guess hasn't called Help yet..

RitaR

Hi,

On my Millie I have a brand name "APC" ES 350/550 Baterry Back-up which has I think just over 1 hour of battery time should I need it (I have a CQ too). My Lenni has a "APC" battery back up that will run for about 48 minutes in the event of a power outage. I spent just over $100 on the Millie one and around $69 (canadian)dollars for Lenni if memory serves me right. The important thing to remember is to get one that will act as a back up, not just to suppress surges. Do a search on Battery Back up on this site and you'll see the discussions from the past. I have spent alot of $$$ on my machines so figured spending another $100 bucks or so is cheap insurance to protect my machines from electrical or unstable electrical power surges which we have no control over.

Let us know the solution to your issues.

RitaR - please call Amy too, with your Lenni it can be a simple fix...perhaps it may need just a bit of tweaking to ground it some more. I had that with my Lenni too and had it grounded within a minute! I needed to scrap some paint off a connection on the handle!

If anyone has issues with their machines taking stitches on it's own, please call Amy, machines are not supposed to take stitches on their own. It takes only a phone call to get it corrected.

Meg, I really didn't mean to imply you shouldn't call Amy.. I would too. In fact should.

Our Power thingie has battery back up for one hour and cost over $220.00.

I hope we can do it tomorrow.. have bathroom/shower issues to take care of since we spent much of today at daughters helping rebuild part of her mobil home.. totally rotted out most of one exterior wall in one bedroom, up close to 3 feet, and about 3 feet of floor, studs, sub floor, etc.

RitaR

Rita - never thought you did imply not to call Amy. Actually - I had this problem on a minor scale earlier and talked to a Bob (Amy was not in that day). He had me do the scrapping thing plus move my front handles a bunch. It had been doing well until yesterday - only happened a couple of times..........then yesterday....... Am afraid to quilt until fixed. Spent 3 hours taking one full panto row out - not fun. But it is done and ready to continue once everything is back in order. Will call first thing tomorrow and keep you up on what they say. Will also head out to Staples and get a battery backup. Am making baby quilts for project Linus - my way of practicing pantos. Have had Miss Ribbit for 2 months now and really want to increase my learning curve without feeling like I am wasting too much fabric:)

Hope the bathroom/shower issues get resolved.

Archived