Tamalada

• 8 months later...

Cheryl,

I just read the story and your recipe. Being a Gringa myself I can relate. My dear MIL (she is now my only mom) comes to visit and three of my husband's daughters come and we all make tamales together. Now it has become a tradition to do this with Miguel's daughters every year before Christmas. This year we were not able to be there but our son-in-law took over the tradition (a good ole Gringo from Arkansas) and they all made the tamales for Christmas. It has been fun to watch Mom's traditions carried on. I even make tortillas. her recipe is a bit different. it involves boiling red chilies, huge pots of them, then making the sauce, shredding the meat, putting it in the sauce and cooking it down. a 3 day process before we ever get to the masa and corn husks

It is fun to see all the ways in which we can relate besides just quilting. what a wonderful family we belong to:D

• 10 months later...

Cheryl....

I cant wait to try out this recipe. Now...I do have another question...does your MIL have a recipe for Pork Chilie?....Hubby loves it .. and we cant seem to get an authentic pork chilie recipe, without it being so salty. If you (or she) would want to share a good recipe, i'd be so ever grateful!

• 2 months later...

Due to my schedule at work I don't have as much time as I would like to read all of the wonderful stories everyone shares here. I do however, try to make time and I've had a great time reading so much today.

I loved the recipe and the story. I love to make tameles with my mother. The time we spend in the kitchen is great telling stories and bonding.

Thank you for sharing your story and recipe!!

Olivia

Archived