Help with cornerstones

Marg Layton

Being a real newbie with my CQ, I would really appreciate some help trying to set a diagonal cornerstone in my border.

With my CQ, I was given an apple meander and block and border from Deb Geissler. I love the apple meander, and have used it already on a quilt. The trouble I am now experiencing is due to lack of understanding, I guess.

I want to use the apple block as a cornerstone, setting it on the diagonal along with the apple border. The trouble I am experiencing is this: Center of pattern does not equal start of pattern. I don't know how to do this. I drew diagonal cross lines in the block with chalk so I could set the absolute center of the block. So far so good. But now what do I do?

The start of pattern is offset from the block center by quite a bit. How do I reset so I can start the pattern where it is supposed to start?

Please help to walk me through this. I have spent a couple of hours on this already. It should be straight forward, but I have a mental block.

Marg Layton

Millie with CQ added just a week and a half ago

I think I understand your problem. Are you using the apple motif in the cornerstones? If so, go to the execute page and look for machine start position, and check the box that says "center of pattern" Line up the machine to the center of your cornerstone, and that should work. You may want to run it with the motor switch off to check the size.

Good luck!

Marg, if I am understanding your question correctly, you need to do 2 things.

The first would be rotate your apple design to get it in the correct alignment for your cornerstone to be on a diagonal (rotate either 45 or -45).

The second thing would be done on the Execute page - place your needle in the center of your block and then in the center of the screen you will seen a box that gives you choices (Machine Start Position) as to where your starting/jumping point is. Select "Center of Pattern".

Now, when you tell the system to run, the system will know you are in the center of your block and it will move to the actual start of the pattern and the apple should stitch out correctly.

I like to do a "dry run" without the needle running to be sure everything is where I think it is and that the size is correct.

This is really very easy and you'll do great.

Thank you for your responses to my question. I had done exactly what each of you has suggested, but when I did the dry run, the stitching was not centered like I wanted it to be. Perhaps the fact that I was using a quarter inch margin had something to do with it, but I was not happy with the results. I know it should be as simple as that, but something is not quite right.

Does the fact that the actual start of the pattern stitching is offset from the center have anything to do with my problem?

Thank you for your responses to my question. I had done exactly what each of you has suggested, but when I did the dry run, the stitching was not centered like I wanted it to be. Perhaps the fact that I was using a quarter inch margin had something to do with it, but I was not happy with the results. I know it should be as simple as that, but something is not quite right.

Does the fact that the actual start of the pattern stitching is offset from the center have anything to do with my problem? Do I have to move the x and y coordinates somehow? I can see from the picture exactly where the start point needs to be, but when I press run, the machine does not move to where it needs to start. Do I need to reset zero? To where? I can't seem to be able to move my machine over to the right place to begin with.

When I do get this solved, I will probably laugh at how easy this should be, but right now, I just don't get it.

Hi Marg,

You are not having a problem with setting CQ’s features. You are having a digitizing problem. I looked at the designs you are talking about in AutoSketch and the apple motif is not right, as it is, for use with CQ. You will learn how to solve these kinds of problems later in your digitizing course when we cover Statler files, and when you learn how closed motifs behave and how they are edited to re-assign the start position. The other problem is a scale factor issue because you want to use a motif as a corner element at a 45 degree angle, and it has not been digitized to scale with the border you want to use. This can be corrected in AutoSketch to maximize the use of all the designs you create or purchase from others. You’ll learn this in Lesson 7 on Corners and Borders. There are a couple of things that need to happen with these designs so you can use them without frustration with CQ. In the meantime, I will help you to have a basic understanding of what’s going on so you won’t have to wait until we get to these lessons later in your digitizing course. I’ll call you.

- Warm Regards,

Suzanne Moreno, Digitizing Instructor

Digitizing with AutoSketch Book and Lessons

Grants Pass, Oregon

cqdigi@charter.net

Archived