Help making measurements for a quilt

Okay getting really frustrated with myself. I am trying to work out squares that I want to fit at different levels and make sashing to go around each block. But I can't seem to figure out the different sashing widths to make it work for the size I want the finished size to be ( to much math for me). Is there a program out there that will do this for you or an easy way to figure it out.  :(

Hi Bonnie,

If I were doing this, I think that I would look at the final block size (square + sashing) and call that "one block".  

If the "square" is the same size, it will not matter where in the block you place the square as the sashing is the same amount no matter where the square is placed.

Figure out what you need for a "block" and calculate how much you need for a row, then times the number of rows...

This should work as long as the 'SQUARE" is the same in each block.

If the square in the block is  different sizes, then I think you can still get an estimate, but you will have to make wider or thinner sashes by sewing two together or doing an oversize block and cut it down to fit. 

Either way, you can use a standard size of sashing and not worry about cutting exact sizes for each square. 

I hope this is what you were asking for help about and it makes some sense ......I  may be totally in left field and not understanding what you are needing. 

debbie

Archived