Difference between a 'service' and a 'spa' treatment

I sent mine in for "service"--a tune-up (like for your car). My definition of a "spa treatment" is that you or a dealer/serviceperson can do it in your studio. All accessible areas are checked for wear, timing is checked, various mechanicals are looked at but no boards or electronics are touched. Motor brushes can be replaced and motor looked at for wear. If it's determined that a board needs replaced you can be walked through the replacement or it can be done by a trusted dealer or serviceperson.

My tune-up included replacement of a bad relay, up-grade of my hopping foot bushing mechanism for a bearing mechanism, all boards were checked, my chirp re-instated, various guides replaced as well as my tensioner spring, hopping foot was checked for wear, grease plug replaced, motor checked for wear and brushes replaced, and a final remedy was found for my slipping horizontal channel lock that never worked after I installed Bliss. Several long-distance cures were tried to fix the lock, including replacing the axle and SR on the carriage. I don't know what the final solution was, but it holds like crazy now!

I think they stripped it down to a skeleton and checked everything. If your machine is limping along with bad stitches that can't be remedied or you find that other adjustments you make don't hold, a trip to her birthplace might be recommended. Otherwise trust that lots of less-invasive repairs can be done at home.

She's now humming along like when she was new.  :wub:

Shipping back and forth totaled about $125 with insurance. The tune-up was about $100 less than I was quoted--seems like she was still in pretty good shape. PM me if you want to know what the cost was.

Andrea:  If you stay on top of repairs and maintenance, I don't think there's any kind of service interval you need to observe.  If she's working well, and you tend to all the little things that wear or don't perform properly, you wouldn't need to send it back to Iowa until you have main shaft bearing failure, massive electronic failure, or something else that requires getting "inside" the machine to fix.  

You should be able to tend most everything else yourself.  Jim

Archived