Any George Owners Out There ?

ILOVEGEORGE

Hay Chantell

I am a longarmer. bought my first LA because I could not master free motion on my home sit down machine. A few weeks ago I was at Quilting At The Waterfront and George was in the booth. So I gave him a test drive just for a laugh:P I was surprised to find out how easy it is to move the fabric around with all that open space. I was hooked. After about an hour of playing I was even free forming feathers. I have to say although I do not own a George myself I think he is a dream come true for all the sit down quilters out there. I would love to see some of you work after you take him for a spin. I will bring my sample peace to Innovations and have Mark take a photo of it to post on the web site at the end of the month. ;) Have fun with your new man and keep us up to date on what is sure to be the new love of your life:D:cool:

Yay, finally, some feedback from someone who has given George a try! For anyone who has tried both the George and one of the other APQS models on a frame, I am wondering, is it easier to move the quilt around using George with his 20" harp space, or easier to pass the machine over the quilt with the other APQS models? I Love George, once your machine is up and running, I hope you'll let us know how things are going!

• 3 weeks later...

After a lot of research and reading comments on this site and about APQS in general, I will be ordering my George tomorrow. Infortunately, there are not any APQS dealers in Atlanta, Ga, but I did email contract with the APQS Dealer, Dea in Tampa, and she wrote back promptly and explained to me how to get a George. I wish I could get a Discovery or Liberty, but I just don't have the space.:( So this will be perfect for my quilting needs. Once I receive it and quilt on it I will let you all know. :D

Hello Belquilt,

You will love George !

I have only used him a few times as my daughter has been ill, but she is on the mend and I will be quilting away in no time at all.

I have never used a long arm before, he is a dream to use.

Space was an issue for me too. My DH could not find any room in the garage for a larger machine, as his hobby ( dirt bike riding) requires a double garage ...amazing.

Keep in touch.....and enjoy your new man when he arrives ;)

Chantell from Australia

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kids!

I am very curious--and excited about george. since I'm not an accomplished quilter yet, I was t hinking about getting george first, rather than buying the machines set up for production. also, I think he would solve my space problem I think I"m going to have, if I get married in the next three years. it will be a first home for both of us, and I haven't the courage to raise yet another issue with him, we've done so well with all the other mega issues!:P

I'll be sitting on pins and needles with excitement, scanning for everything about how y'all are getting on with george at your house/studio. Hop along!!

Slinda

Hi Chantell,

I am the original George owner-actually, George's "mother" since I am the one who whined until the guys at APQS gave in and came up with the wonderful guy!!

I have had several Georges over the last two years, starting with one on an industrial stand that had two foot pedals, the regular taller long-arm foot and no speed regulator! George has had a lot of thought and engineering since then to make him the man he is today.

The advantages, as I saw them, are just what some of you are saying---if you want to quilt your own quilts, but want an industrial machine that is reliable and made to run constantly for the hours we tend to quilt, without burning up the motors of your favorite piecing machines---George is it! Most of us have learned to machine quilt sitting down and moving the quilt under the needle, so, with George, you don't have to completely re-learn your quilting techniques. Long-arm quilting is a "whole different animal", as you all know--on my daughter's "Lennie" all my circles have square corners!

Nowadays, George has the speed regulator, a one-button needle up/down/tension release, a great light that plugs into the machine itself, a separate "turbo" bobbin-winder and the great cabinet from Tracy's Tables.

I am a great advocate of fusible batting (Hobbs 80/20 fusible) or spray basting (Sullivan's), so that takes care of the basting problem. With those two methods, you can start quilting anywhere on your quilt (where you might know what design you are going to quilt :P ) rather than having to start in the center as you do with pin basting.

I would be more than happy to help and answer any questions or solve any problems you have with your "sit-down quilting". Don't ask me what the red, yellow and green lights mean, though, because heck if I know:D

George and I will be at Houston, "doing our thing" in the APQS booth, both Market and Festival. Stop by and say "hello"!

Snowquilter (aka Claudia Myers)

Claudia,

I have a quick question for you. I haven't tried the George yet and was curious, for someone with arthritic hands, which is ultimately less of a strain, quilting while moving the quilt or the machine, on an APQS model?

I've recently put a "Sew Slip" on the bed of my sit down machine, and have found that once I had a 'non-stick' surface, the quilt glides with ease, and I'm not feeling half the strain I used to. But I'm still wondering, does it get even easier pushing the machine on a frame?

Also, what is the quilting surface like on the Tracy table with your George? Does the surface allow you to 'glide' the quilt under the machine in a 'friction free' motion using your hands to move the quilt?

Finally, can you use your amazing influence to try and get APQS to create a demo video for George in action for their website?! There are lots of us out here waiting to see your model but don't have access to a show where he might show up in a booth.

THanks for all the great details!

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Well, speaking as the owner of a pair of arthritic hands, myself, I'll try to address your question. The Tracy's table has a very slick surface. I had a "Slider" on my "other" machine, but haven't felt the need since I got the TT. Also, because of the large surface that is even with the machine throat plate and the Lexan cover, you don't have the corner-grabbing problems that create the little zigs and zags in your quilting that you do with the small machines, even if you have the bed extenders. The thing that helps my hands (and my shoulders) most of all, is wearing gloves while you are quilting. I like the Machingers best of all and actually, I also wear them if I am putting the binding on a big quilt and trying to muscle it under my old Bernina. I sometimes use them paper-piecing, too. If you don't wear gloves, now, you'll find that they cut down on the quilt clutching that happens when you are moving the quilt under the needle. As far as which method is better, the long-arm method or the sit-down method for arthritis sufferers, I can't help, since I'm not a long-armer. Maybe somebody out there who longarms can give an opinion. I do know that I've been told by former "other" owners that the APQS machines are the easiest to move. Something about their wheels being on the "right" way.:D

What a great idea about a George video!! I'm willing--Hey guys?:D

Claudia

Hi Kathy, I think a video on George would be great! I too, don't have a dealer near me and the next show near me that he might be at isn't until next June. I don't have the room for a stand up longarm so this model might be my best bet. I know that Gammill puts out a very nice video, which I have, but again, no room for the big machines. I need that space for my stash! DB

Thanks Claudia for the reply. I do use gloves, which I bought together with the sew slip and between the two, wow, I've got to tell you, what a difference. I can easily imagine, with the extra throat space, even more of a difference! (I use the new form fitting Fons and Porter gloves with grips.) I knew the APQS machines on frames are considerably lighter than the Gammills. I just haven't been able to take them for a test drive yet, to see whether I'd be better off with a frame model or the George, depending on what seems to be 'easier' in terms of the strain on my hands. I'm going to take a wild guess here and assume that the George is probably the way to go. Moving a quilt with all that space has got to be less strenuous than moving the machine over the quilt.

If any dealers have any thoughts or comments, I'd love to hear your feedback. Are there any buyers who have tried both, considered both, and have some advice/feedback to offer?

Kathy

Archived