Help - Trying to patch a backing

Sams Mom

Needle got caught and ripped a QOV quilt I was working on. I fixed the top with no problems but I can wrap my brain around fixing the backing. Hopefully attaching a schematic of what I want to do. Please advise. How much bigger or smaller do I cut the hole than the patch? And how do I sew it back together. I know I've sewed in four sides before when fixing piecing problems but this just isn't working for me. Any suggestions would be helpful. Rip is close to the lower right side of the quilt from the top.

THANKS!

post--13461900595903_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Sams Mom

Thanks, I went ahead and appliqued a star over it because there is a label planned by the piecer. Only an expert would know there was a boo boo!

Donna

Just curious, I would like to ask you seasoned pros... isn't this why "applique" was originally used?? Not for decorative, but rather for practical purposes? (to cover up the hole in the cloth?) :) :) Anyway, glad you were able to patch things up, Donna!

Hi, I've had this happen on the front of the quilt, this is what I have used to patch a quilt.

007 Bonding Agent, Quick Invisible Mending, no sewing required.

I picked up a travel size fabric repair kit at my quilt shop. It is what they use to repair wool, it does a great job.

It looks like it is some sort of adhesive that looks like sand. you sprinkle it in the hole and put an ironing sheet on top and lightly press. Great thing to have, because this sometimes happens. Ouch it hurts to do this on a customers quilt.

sue

Archived