Pantograph Overlay

I'm not sure where to post this, or what the technical term is for the plastic sheet on the back of the table that protects the pantograph...but here is my problem.

I have a 14' table and the plastic overlay has a "seam" in the middle of the table. Every time I quilt, a little more of the edges roll up. I was using my blue, painters tape to hold it down, taping on the edges being careful not to tape my pantograph pattern, and that worked fine for a while, but that is not working now. I thought I read where someone out there used something they purchased at Home Depot or Wal-Mart that worked. At the time it sounded like a great idea and I said to myself "I'm going to remember this one, that is a great idea." I am learning that I need to start printing off these ideas when I see them, cause my brain doesn't work like it use to ;). Anyway, if any of you have a clue of what I am talking about, please feel free to chime in...

Thank you and have a very Happy New Year,

Mary Beth

MaryBeth

Are you talking about where you have 2 sheets jointing in the middle. If that is the case then use clear packing tape on both sides so it will stay in place and not separate. Now, as the panto goes that is a good question. I think that if the clear plastic is heavy enough it would not move. I found that sometimes when you put down the sheet of plastic, watch that it don't move or shift. I keep one hand of the panto while putting down plastic sheet.

I do have the same problem with the plastic cover of the pantos. They still curl up in the middle and on both ends.

The ends will not cause a problem, as the machine head will not cross it. But the middle part; I can not cross the middle of the table with the machine head without sticking to the bottom. I used the blue masking (?) tape which came with the machine and placed one in the middle where this two sheets meet with the sticky side up and place another on top. From both tape I left a bit more then the plastic is. That way the tapes sticked together and I had a small kind of "handle" to lift the plastic. And I can move the panto if necessary. Which I will seldom do, as I do not like pantos.

This way it works for me and the blue tape shows me allways the middle of the table.

Hi...I haven't posted in a long time but I do have an answer to this one. I've had my Millie for 4 1/2 years now. The first year, I too had problems with the acrylic sheets rolling up in the middle so I purchased a heavy acrylic/plastic sheet from Home Depot and just lay it on top of the panto and the plastic sheeting. It works great and only cost a couple of bucks. The size is about the same as the width of the back table and only about 10-12 inches wide. It doesn't need to be very big; just heavy enough to keep the acrylic sheet laying flat. :)

Debbie Foster

The Quilting Gin

And I also use the Pattern Grid - it's a terrific tool for lining up pantograph patterns. cost is about $50. but after having it I find that I wouldn't want to quilt without it - I didn't cut mine in the middle because I would think that after time the Pattern Grid would roll like the clear acrylic did - in one piece it lays flat and holds down any wayward curled corners. Good luck.

Angie

Archived